footswitch controlling pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by hachi kid, Mar 15, 2010.

1. hachi kid

hachi kid

Jun 2, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I'm wanting to clean up my signal a bit, and on my way to building a rack. I normally hate dealing with pedals due to the amount of wires and clutter involved. I've recently acquired a rack mount compressor, and since I'm going to be running that through the effects loop in my amps, and just running the cables from my bass into the inputs on the front of the amp.

I'm wondering if it's possible to run the pedals I want (overdrive and a few others) through the back of the amp in the effects loop before the compressor, but have them operated by a footswitch. kind of like a channel selector footswitch for guitars, I guess, except the footswitch would select whether the stompbox would be on or not.

for instance, I'm going to be playing through a Peavey VK100 for my highs/mids/effects. this has two separate channels on it. one clean, one overdrive. I was thinking keeping the gain on the overdrive channel maxed out for a full on fuzz tone, and having a Pork Loin for a slight overdrive so I would essentially have three different tones without having to fool with the gain knob and readjust all my volumes in the middle of a show or practice (or song).

is this making sense? or should I explain it differently.

2. Eric!

Eric! Commercial User

Jan 22, 2009
    America's High-Five
    Mojo Hand FX
    You could be a pain in the ass and have a multi-bypass looper and LOTS of cords.
    5Lt.jpg

I guess there're some MIDI things you can do, but those go over my head.

There ARE ways to rig up jacks on some pedals to have the bypass be plugged in and snaked to wherever you want (similar to a tap-tempo box), but it's pretty tricky, and will only work for some pedals.
    100_3718.jpg

I honestly think you'd just be better with a small board like a PT-Mini or something. Again, just IMO.

3. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021