for people with mac's

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by warwickben, Apr 25, 2004.

1. so i got ilfe and garge band is cool. i wanna use it for mixing and wat not. i got a imic my problem is recording. i also have the fostex mr-8 recoreder. my ? is wats the best way to recored. ive been doing a number of things. recording in the 8 track and then putting the wave files on my mac, and recording right in to gargage band but that doesnt sound as good.

wat iam asking is tips ideas or wat. i was thinking going from a di and micing my bass cab recored that on the 8 track then putting it on my two seprate tracks so i can mix it better on my laptop.

i seach and i really havnt found any thign for help with macs. i got a greta pc but id rather work on my mac. any tips or ideas free programs that will allow me to recored more then one track at a time.
  2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    The Free Version of Pro tools lets you do 8 tracks if I remember correctly. I think DP or cubase is similar.

As for Garageband, that's the biggest limitation, that it's unlimited tracks, but one-at-a-time recording. It doesn't bother me much because I don't ever need to record multiple tracks at once, but I could see it being pretty lame.
  3. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    well, protools le allows you to do 32 tracks, just fyi.
  4. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I'm running an MBox on a Mac laptop, which works really well for my needs. The MBox functions as an audio/usb converter and a mixer all in one tiny little package. It comes with Protools LE and some light versions of Reason, Ableton Live, Amplitude, etc., etc. You should be able to pick up one of these for around $450, which ain't bad at all.
  5. go over to the mac store. those people are falling over themselves to answer these questions.
  6. D.A.R.K.

Aug 20, 2003
    i'm sorry, i gotta say that people at the mac store don't know jack
    90% of the time and will even misinform you due to their general lack of expertise in my experiences...
    garage band is a good primer for digital multitracking and mixing, but as has been stated already, there are great free programs like pro tools which could suit your needs better...the mbox is portable, affordable, and a great example of a complete system, just limited to two tracks of simultaneous recording.
    digital performer,cooledit pro, cubase and logic are also great full-blown production programs, but unlike pro-tools are usable with any 3rd party analog/digital interface.
    good luck
  7. how can i record two or more spearte tracks at a time not like guitar and bass on one stero track.any ideas i was thing of buying the M-Audio MobilePre USB Audio Interface, shouldi look at any thing else. wats a good free program that would allow me two recored more the one track at a time . is prtools le free its late i got school. nite sorry about this my spelling

john turner ur the reason i want a a synth picup,lol. well one of the reason, i wanna make werid sound s and with my kyboard i dont knwo wat iam playign. i kinda jsut hit keys lol