1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

for those of you who have studied audio/studio engineering

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by rusmannx, Dec 1, 2004.

1. rusmannx

rusmannx

Jul 16, 2001
    just wondering if someone could recomend me some good books to read on the sound/recording type stuff. i'm looking for 101-105 course stuff, because i'm kindof starting to enjoy this whole recording thing, but i would like to read some format material (instead of google).
    if any of you could recommend me some isbn numbers, or links to a good book on amazon or half.com, i would appreciate the insite.

2. adam on bass

adam on bass

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    +1

3. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    This was one of my texts as well (along with The MIDI Manual by Huber and a couple others). Though my copy has become charmingly outdated in some ways (thanks to the rise of inexpensive digital recording) in the 10 years since I took my recording classes. ;) The principles are timeless though.

4. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    That's good; also get the Yamaha Guide to Sound Reinforcement.

What I did when first starting out was to go to my local college bookstore at the start of the semester and I bought all the Studio 101/201 books listed. Then, as it was a college bookstore, I returned the ones I didn't need within two weeks for a full refund.

Then I got busy with my cassette four track, my SM-57 and my RS PZMs. Those were the days...

5. rusmannx

rusmannx

Jul 16, 2001
    wow thanks a lot. i'll try to find one on amazon.
    thanks guys for your help.

6. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I hate doing stuff like this, but... +1.

7. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    Yeah, +1 on the Huber & Runstein, think its up to 5th edition now.

Also in case you don't already about TapeOp its a great indie/creative recording magazine, free subscriptions too!

8. Is the 5th edition reasonably up to date?

9. rusmannx

rusmannx

Jul 16, 2001
    check amazon. i think 5th was updated in 2001.