Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

for those of you who have studied audio/studio engineering

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by rusmannx, Dec 1, 2004.

1. rusmannx

rusmannx

Jul 16, 2001
    just wondering if someone could recomend me some good books to read on the sound/recording type stuff. i'm looking for 101-105 course stuff, because i'm kindof starting to enjoy this whole recording thing, but i would like to read some format material (instead of google).
    if any of you could recommend me some isbn numbers, or links to a good book on amazon or half.com, i would appreciate the insite.

2. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    +1

3. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    This was one of my texts as well (along with The MIDI Manual by Huber and a couple others). Though my copy has become charmingly outdated in some ways (thanks to the rise of inexpensive digital recording) in the 10 years since I took my recording classes. ;) The principles are timeless though.

4. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    That's good; also get the Yamaha Guide to Sound Reinforcement.

What I did when first starting out was to go to my local college bookstore at the start of the semester and I bought all the Studio 101/201 books listed. Then, as it was a college bookstore, I returned the ones I didn't need within two weeks for a full refund.

Then I got busy with my cassette four track, my SM-57 and my RS PZMs. Those were the days...

5. rusmannx

rusmannx

Jul 16, 2001
    wow thanks a lot. i'll try to find one on amazon.
    thanks guys for your help.

6. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I hate doing stuff like this, but... +1.

7. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    Yeah, +1 on the Huber & Runstein, think its up to 5th edition now.

Also in case you don't already about TapeOp its a great indie/creative recording magazine, free subscriptions too!

8. Is the 5th edition reasonably up to date?

9. rusmannx

rusmannx

Jul 16, 2001
    check amazon. i think 5th was updated in 2001.