1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Formative year

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by slobake, Jun 6, 2014.

1. slobake

slobake resident ... something Supporting Member

1968 was a year that had a major impact on me. I was 15 years old when the year started. I was really, really interested in girls, dabbling in mind altering substances, playing sports and listening to rock and roll. I was living in North Long Beach at the time. It was a very conservative, blue collar town. Lot's of low riders and I was seeing junkies and other types of addicts for the first time.

Here are the events of the year as I remember and here is the actual time line that I used to confirm my memories: http://cds.library.brown.edu/projects/1968/reference/timeline.html

These are the memories of a young adult trying to make sense of the world. I am not intentionally making any political statements here. Some of my views have changed and some are the same.

Is there a year or a time frame that had a profound and long lasting affect on you?

I am 15 years old as the year starts

My brother is in the Marines fighting on the ground in Vietnam. Another brother is in the Air Force flying missions over Vietnam

The Tet offensive starts with some of the bloodiest fighting during the war. My brother is Hue when it is overrun by the Vietcong

I can hear my mom pacing all night in the hall outside of my bedroom.

Massive anti-war rallies are taking place. I hear my parents talk about hippie trash.

There are several photos from Vietnam released that still stick in my psyche

ut-vietnam-girl.

1338050923_vietnam_photo_by_eddie_adams_430.

Martin Luther King is assassinated in April and I see my mom cry. A conservative older women crying over the death of a black civil rights leader. Race riots break out all across the country

Robert F Kennedy is assassinated in June

In August there are riots at the Democratic National Convention in Chicago. I can still see the images on TV with anti war demonstrators chanting “The whole world is watching” Police firing tear gas and wading into groups of demonstrators with clubs. My mom is incensed about the demonstrators and stays glued to the TV. She shouts things like “Look at that, look at that” and “They should all be arrested.” I’m not so sure but I keep quiet.

In August the Soviet Union invades Czechoslovakia with troops and tanks to put an end what some people called the “Prague Spring."

My brother the marine returns from Vietnam there are tears and celebration. He takes me aside and tells me not to go to Vietnam no matter what. He offers to pay my way to Canada if need be.

A priest at our church gives a sermon and refers to our troops in Vietnam as murderers. My brother stands up, gives him the finger and storms out the door.

In October several black American athletes raise their fists when the American National anthem is played during the medal ceremony. My mom is not happy, I think it’s cool, I am sent to my room.

Richard Nixon is elected President in 1968, my parents are happy about it I am not.

In December the U.S. launches the first manned spacecraft to orbit the moon.

pauliepaulie likes this.
  2. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Banned

Feb 13, 2009
    Western Pennsylvania
    So far, this past year has seen some the biggest changes in my worldview.

wild4oldcars likes this.
  3. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Banned

May 9, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    Cool post Slobake - interesting perspective.

4. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    I'm still waiting to have a formative year, I'm still highly malleable.

I hope it involves beer.

5. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Geat post - raises the intellectaul rating of this forum by about 25%. I am about 10 years older than you. I was playing with a group named Looking Glass. (not the one with the hit, they came later). Your post reminds me of how isolated you are on the road. Had a band mate once say working on the road is like living in a space ship.
    But, your post has set me to thinking. I don't know that I can name a specific formative year.

6. 1982 undoing the damage I'd done to myself from the 60s and 70s.

7. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Banned

Feb 19, 2006
    west suburban boston
    July 1978 to July 1979. Van Halen I. The Pretenders. My first weed. First live music. Every day during that period was wonderful and horrible! Music had color. I still believed in beauty and innocence.

8. 4StringAxe

4StringAxe

Jul 27, 2009
    Long ago I wandered through my mind, in the land of fairy tales and stories. Lost in happiness I had no fears, innocence and love was all I knew.
    Was it illusion?
    Soon the days were passing into years, happiness just didn't come so easy. Life was more than fairy tales and daydreams. Innocence was just another word.
    Was it illusion?

Darth Handsome and tangentmusic like this.
  9. 4StringAxe

4StringAxe

Jul 27, 2009
    Mid 70's I found out not everyone believes in god. A little later I found out not everyone believes in equals.
    1980 I found out not everyone loves the USA. I could go one but, no matter.

10. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Banned

Feb 19, 2006
    west suburban boston
    Exactly.
    That's why I listed the exact 365 day period between my 12th and 13th birthday- it's all been downhill since then.

11. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    You were lost in the Wheels of Confusion too?
    1974 was my year

Darth Handsome and 4StringAxe like this.
  12. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    You're just trolling for Darth "likes" now.

13. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    I remember eating dinner with the evening news on and it always started with what was going on in vietnam along with video footage of the fighting. I was only 10 years old in 1968 I knew it wasnt good to be at war but I didnt really grasp the bigger picture until several years later as I didnt know anyone involved at the time. I have since met many vietnam vets and heard there stories, war is not good for anyone or anything that is my conclusion, it only benefits the military industrial complex Eisenhower tried to warn us about all those years ago,

14. 4StringAxe

4StringAxe

Jul 27, 2009
    No sir, it just fit ... he's not the only one to love Sabbath.

Darth Handsome likes this.
  15. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Banned

Feb 19, 2006
    west suburban boston
    This thread needs more black sabbath.

16. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I graduated high school in 2000. I know it's kind of cliche, but there was something magical about the turn of the millennium. It was a pre-9/11 world, and there was a sense of optimism abound.

It was a crazy year. I did exceptionally well, academically. I was constantly on honor roll and I ended up winning department awards and such at the end of the year. One of my best friends was involved in a major car wreck and almost died. The other driver did die, but the facts never shook out and to this day, he can't remember what happened or whose fault it was. I dated two interesting girls. As the stereotype goes, one of them ended up fat with like four kids now. My school put on a production of Grease and had its first year of jazz band. I was tapped to play bass for both of those endeavors, and since I never played sports, it opened up this pathway to popularity that was usually reserved for the jock-cheerleader-rich kid clique. Not that it really mattered my senior year anyways - basically everybody said screw cliques and we all partied together and hung out.

I did end up buying We Sold Our Souls for Rock 'n Roll that summer if that helps introduce some Sabbath into this thread.

Edit: And I ended up joining TB at the end of 2000.

17. bassinplace

bassinplace

Dec 1, 2008
    I was born in '67, so while I have no memory of those events, I do have memories of the cultural aftermath of the late sixties. 70's and 80's were a weird time to grow up. Current events were so much more whitewashed in the way they were presented by the media and not so raw and immediate like they were in the 60's. I also remember when living in the US felt like a much more free place than what it has become now. I can see the downward spiral continuing. I don't have a lot of hope for the cultural landscape in the US. I haven't for most of my life. Whew, that was fun to type. :smug: debbie-downer.

nukes_da_bass likes this.
  18. 4StringAxe

4StringAxe

Jul 27, 2009
    The cold war was fun times. In the early 80's I kept hearing how the missiles were coming, just a matter of time. A lot songs about the human race extinguishing its self. The doom preachers have been around for as long as I can remember. I can't tell anymore if it's downward spiral or backwards suction.

19. Probably 1992, if I had to pin down one particular year. That was the year I was really able to actually start to figure out how to actually become myself. Not that the outcome was a good thing, but it was better than the alternative.

20. edpal

edpal Banned

Oct 3, 2007
    1976 - I was 16, my mom got in a near fatal car wreck and was hospitalized for about 6 months. My dad was already turning into the reclusive, psychosomatic he seemed destined to become so there was no parental guidance/oversight for that period and even when mom got back home it was hard for her to keep after us.