1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Formerly the Warlocks

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by colcifer, Oct 6, 2010.

1. colcifer

colcifer Esteemed Nitpicker Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2010
    A Galaxy Far, Far Away
    Finally got a chance to listen to it. Very disappointed.

I'll save the TLDR version for my site but the mix is poor, they sound under rehearsed, and Jerry's voice is bad even by 89 standards.

To be fair, they did Help>Slipknot>Franklin's and Candyman which was cool. Also, my expectations for it where quite high, hoping for Built To Last*Winterland 1977 Complete Run.

P.S. These are just my initial impressions of it. If you're thinking of getting this, don't base your decision on this brief review; I'll post a comprehensive review once I've gotten a chance to really spend some time listening.

Edit: I meant Attics, not Candyman

2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    As someone who went to shows during that era, that's why I stopped going to shows. 88 and 89 had some awful runs. I can't imagine with all the wonderful live recordings that are out there, why you'd want to suffer through the last couple years of the 80's.

3. Boot Soul

Boot Soul

Feb 10, 2009
    Agreed, but I would still love to go back in time and catch Jerry even on an off night. Jerry was getting into smoking Persian heavily at that time, and Bobby's, St. Of Circumstance/Lost Sailor crap was in heavy rotation then as well. Despite the sloppiness, I consider being alive at a period in history to have seen 70 or so GD shows to be a blessing. There were some real moments of magic.

4. Burning Skies - you really think 88-89 was worse than 86-87? or 81-84?

I enjoyed (and still prefer) most shows from 88 through Brent Myland's death in '90 more than any shows I saw or heard from 81-87

5. colcifer

Feb 10, 2010
    A Galaxy Far, Far Away
    I like 87 and 88 a lot. 90- is what I don't like.

Listened a bit more. There are definite first set jitters but some of the second set tracks are better. I'll probably start writing a real review tomorrow.

6. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    Yep. I saw some really awesome shows in 87. 86 was rough, thanks to rehab and the like. I saw some cringingly bad shows in 88/89. Particularly 88. I was at an Easter show in Hartford CT and people sat down and discussed why Jerry sounded so bad. It was unlistenable. I actually downloaded the show to check my memory of it not to long ago and it only confirmed my recollections. I have a fondness for 85 shows too.

7. N.F.A.

N.F.A.

Jun 25, 2009
    In a blue funk
    The guys that I did shows with always lived by the adage that every show was going to be someone's favorite one. They all had moments didn't they? I remember 89 having some pretty good shows..
    Deer Creek, Alpine, etc.

8. colcifer

Feb 10, 2010
    A Galaxy Far, Far Away
    +1

Made some time today for a proper review.

The short story: It has its moments. Morning Dew and We Bid You Goodnight from the first show were good and Playin'>Uncle John>Playin' from the second is great but on the whole, not a noteworthy recording.

The long story is on my blog. Here's a link for the really, really lazy among us: http://colcifer.com/?p=105

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021