Freaking GAS!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by threshar, Jan 3, 2006.

1. threshar

Jul 30, 2002
    Thanks to you *TALKBASS* I now feel my life won't be complete without some new gear, which I really really don't need.

We need a GAS support forum where we try to talk everyone out of purchases.

The odd thing is, I can talk myself out of say a $15 DVD with no issues, but it takes a lot of effort to talk myself out of a nice $1000 (or more) bass.

I've been lusting after some nice fretless 5's as I recently defretted my 5 string Jazz and I've since fallen in love with fretless.

On ebay right now there is a neat dual neck galveston - 1 neck is a fretted 5 the other a fretless 4. buy it now only $640 :) However I know I wouldn't like that in reality. Been eyeing some cort's or thumbs..
  2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Funny how that works, isnt it? I can convince myself to stay on the same set of strings for a month longer than usual if im not actively gigging at the time to 'save money', yet ill put in an order (ahem) for a $1500 bass no problem.
  3. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Welcome to the disease... ;)
  4. Gomez

Gomez Live from the Shire

Apr 15, 2005
    What I've learned about GAS is that you need to focus on something else. In my case it was the barbershop girl. Eventually that didn't work out so every time I get home I walk pass the music shop where they have that extremely lovely Fender 4 which they still haven't sold (!!!!!). It plays like a flipping dream and I still want it badly.

But I don't really need it, I really don't, no.....really. I don't. My main bass is active so I lose 12db every time I plug into anything good. So I kinda do need it. But I also kinda need an Eden 1205....ah fuggit, I'm gonna buy it anyway.

Disregard the whole damn thing.
  5. Shearstown

Oct 15, 2005
    Well this site is basically one big bass commercail it's hard not to get something. Especially when you're reading about everyone elses then you look at your gear and you get the G.A.S. I joined around September an now I have a Fender Jazz which was a big step up for me.
  6. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    It's really hard to do this, but the thing you need is a ton of patience ....... patience to wait for the absolutely right thing to come along, patience to ignore all of the incredible basses posted here, patience to believe that the bass you have in your hands right now is good enough to do the job for you ....

Over this past weekend, I went back through my bass-trading-selling-swapping history over the past 5 years. Bottom line, I currently have an FBB fretless 6, an FBB fretted 5, an '86 Fender MIJ Power Jazz Special fretted 4, a Conklin GT7 (sort-of, long story but in my possession), a '68 Goya MIJ fretless 4, and an '89 SGC Nanyo Bass Collection SB310 (currently on the block for selling or trading). My total out-of pocket expense for all of these basses, including shipping, is $970.00 :eek:

Of course, I have bought/swapped/sold/traded a total of 18 basses to get to this point .... :rollno: come to think of it, I guess that endlessly moving basses back and forth is GAS :meh:

Ahhhh, *** .... never mind ..... :rolleyes:
  7. threshar

Jul 30, 2002

I am usually successful at talking myself out because I cannot play the instruments before buying. I then have to quiet up the part of my brain saying "Well, if you don't like it sell it on ebay then. sheesh!"

18 basses? yow!
  8. UtBDan

UtBDan Supporting Member

Oct 29, 2004
    :( I need support too. But GASing so much for a Bongo but won't have the cash till the end of January and still get to watch so many go by in classifieds. I NEED A GIANT HUG
  9. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Yeah, it does seem like a lot when you put it into print :bag:

But I've been very lucky in my bass trading habits ..... out of all of those basses, I've always made a "profit" on the trade/swap/sell, with the exception of an Ibanez SRX505 that I sold off at a "loss" after using it for two years ......