Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Free Recording Software?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Davidoc, Oct 19, 2003.

1. Hi, I was wondering if there is any decent free multitrack recording software available for download.

Thanks!

I could just use kazaa....

2. VellaBass

VellaBass

Aug 29, 2003
    London, UK
    Go to www.fasoft.com. Download n-track. It's free for a fortnight; then it costs about $45. Worth every penny. Not quite free but on the value for money scale it's as good as.

3. 12notes

12notes

Jul 15, 2003
  4. RyanHelms

RyanHelms

Sep 20, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    Check out the Quartz Free Studio at Digital Sound Planet. Virtual 4-track (one track at a time recording) that's set up pretty much identical to real-world. The free demo is fully funtional. Most excellent!

While you're at it, check out Hammerhead. Not for recording, but you can sample in clips if you can convert audio to .raw 16 bit mono.. Think of it like a trip-hop-break-beat metronome. If you're the least bit savvy, download the extra sound sets and custom userbanks to plug in. Then, whip up some loops you dig and stream them to your hard drive to burn on a practice cd. I could groove on "Funky Drummer" all day!

-RH

5. RyanHelms

RyanHelms

Sep 20, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    Check out the Quartz Free Studio at Digital Sound Planet. Virtual 4-track (one track at a time recording) that's set up pretty much identical to real-world. The free demo is fully funtional. Most excellent!

While you're at it, check out Hammerhead. Not for recording, but you can sample in clips if you can convert audio to .raw 16 bit mono.. Think of it like a trip-hop-break-beat metronome. If you're the least bit savvy, download the extra sound sets and custom userbanks to plug in. Then, whip up some loops you dig and stream them to your hard drive to burn on a practice cd.

-RH

6. Protools FREE would be worth a try. Limited to 8 audio tracks

7. Here's your chance to try the industry's leading digital audio production tools. . .for FREE!

http://www.digidesign.com/ptfree/

[​IMG]
    Treena

8. Bryan_G

Bryan_G

Apr 28, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    http://download.com.com/3000-2170-10119106.html?tag=lst-0-1

Audacity is pretty good FREE app. I used it a couple of years back in linux and it wasn't anywhere as good as the windows apps at the time. I think it has come along way. If I was looking for something free it would be my first choice. As far as cheap goes N-Track is hard to beat. I really like N-track I think that if they could professionalize a little more their product could be better then anything out there. It has the most intuitive design and user friendly interface I have seen. Of course this is personal experience in home studios nothing pro.

-Bryan

9. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Steinberg's Cubasis is in the same price range as n-track. 49 or so.

10. search there... lots of free software.:eek:

11. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Bingo. I use cubase SX, and i try not to use anything else if i can avoid it.