french or german?

Discussion in 'Orchestral Technique [DB]' started by germanPYP, Dec 19, 2004.

1. germanPYP

Dec 19, 2004
    What is better? My techer wants me to go to Curtis, NEC or Rice. But if i am correct all of those teachers play french, i play german. Should i switch to german, would that increase my chances of landing a spot in one of those schools? I really love german, i find it a hell of a lot easier to do so many things, but even my teacher(who plays german) sadi something about me switching. Dos anyone have any insight. Are the teachers at those schools so bias, they wouldnt take me on because i play german?, thnks.
  2. bdengler

Jan 23, 2000
    New Albany, Ohio
    Curtis is accepting German bow players. Nate Farrington from Columbus is a German bow player at Curtis. I heard Curtis accepted its second German bow player. Relax and good luck.

3. C-bus

Oct 12, 2004
    Columbus, OH
    Most people will find a natural preference of bow. I used to play violin and cello before switching to bass a long time ago and even back then, I was drawn to German bow, even though I had to learn a lot of new technique. Concerning schools and teachers: you really should study with a German bow teacher. You can still learn much about the German bow from a French bow teacher, but often there are certain technical aspects that can only be taught by a German bow player (vice versa for French bow). You can study and learn from a French bow teacher, but sometimes it will be very difficult. You will have to do a lot of experimenting and critical listening to produce the results/sounds/strokes you need. Most French bow teachers will not turn you away because you play German style. One of the more recent examples is Nate Farrington (German) being accepted at Curtis by Hal Robinson (kick-a** French). If the teacher wants you, you will be accepted.

Small side note: You can't go wrong with Robinson, Barker (French) or Ellison (both). Period.

Good luck,