1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Frequency/Duration of Practice?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by BassOfDiamonds, Jul 23, 2012.

1. What do you find is the optimal amount/frequency of practice, particularly when you were a beginner?

I've been practicing daily, 20-30 minutes at a time.

I do it right before bed, and I sleep maybe 2-3 hours a night (I don't need much sleep), so I could potentially go much longer than just a half hour. Do you think my practice sessions are too short?

Just wondering what was optimal for YOU.

2. For me it would be 1 hour a day, But due to my work and other activities it´s nearly impossible.

3. Fergie Fulton

Fergie Fulton

Nov 22, 2008
    Braintree
    Retrovibe Artist rota
    Practice is best done in small parts up to half an hour long.
    So if you practice for half an hour, then review or study for half an hour you are ready to practice again.

Great way to do this is read an idea or learn a concept, say scales.
    Write them out, see them on the paper in front of you, see the relations the intervals etc then play them and hear everything you saw written.
    If you do not get it then read it again, then practice it, then read it again and practice it.
    Do this with every thing you learn and you will find your physical skills grow in pace with your academic ones.
    The academic side should always lead the physical side so you are learning new ideas then developing the skills to play them.:)

4. miiitch

miiitch

Nov 27, 2011
    Germany
    yeah that´s about as much as i did .. don´t forget to warm up your fingers, by playing some really easy and slow bassline or whatever

in a few weeks you´ll probably notice your grip relaxes a bit, and you can try doing 40-50 minute sessions .. stop as soon as it hurts

but i really think you should get more sleep o_O

5. enricogaletta

enricogaletta

May 21, 2011
    Remember, the practice is important but most important is the quality of it.
    If you practice one hour full immersion each day, playing and studying things that you are not familiar with it or you don't know well, well your practice time will be better of people that do it for 3 hours each day.
    Cheers.
    Enrico

6. boynamedsuse

boynamedsuse Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Every day, but less than an hour at a time seems right. Although practicing may be a lot of fun, if your body isn't used to it, you can develop repetitive stress type injuries if you overdo it.

If something hurts, practice time needs to be cut back quite a bit. (Not counting sore fingertips. It's hard to practice much at all without them becoming tender in the beginning.)

7. Jazzkuma

Jazzkuma

Sep 12, 2008
    yes, don't practice if it hurts. When you are starting your hands are not fit to play for extended periods of time so if it hurts stop. Over time you will notice that you can fit more practice time in your hands without hurting them. Eventually you will be able to play 4-6 hours without pain...but you HAVE to let your hands adapt, and it takes time.