1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

fret dots...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by JeffTheBig, Dec 22, 2006.

1. ...is there a way to remove them??

2. No, they generally extend down into the neck. It would be possible to drill them out then put something else there, but at best you would get fret dots of another color. I suppose you might could put a veneer between the frets.

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Yes, it is possible to remove them. It will leave holes though, not to mention they're generally set in with a strong epoxy.

Removing them and filling them with another material to match the color of the wood will still be noticable up close and will require a refret to properly radius them.

4. i would like to remove the fret dots and fill the holes with a wood fill to match the fretboard (rosewood) so that i would have a "clean" fretboard. i have a fetish for fretboards with no inlays :ninja:

5. it won't really work to well, the grain won't match. You could have a new board put on (very expensive) or buy a new neck/bass

6. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006
    The job is do-able. Matching the grain is much like filling the saddle slot in an acoustic guitar bridge when relocating the saddle or turning a right hand guitar into a lefty. Plugs of the same species are cut and a reasonable grain match can be achieved if care is taken selecting the areas in which the plugs will be cut in the new material. They can be glued in with white or yellow glue and left to cure for twenty four hours. As far as radiusing the plugs to match a sharp wood scraper or a razor blade with a turned edge used as a scraper will knock the fills down and the radius can be held true. This is pretty much the same method used when replacing pearl or other fretboard inlays. However, it is tedious and time consuming to get it all right. It is not a job for an inexperienced woodworker. If that is you, take it to a pro.

7. i was talking to the guy who does all the work on my basses. he says that ist not that hard to do and he even has the wood fill to match the fretboard of my 6er. ...he said he would even draw the wood grain to match the fret board haha

8. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006
    Ha Ha? Grain is drawn in with a graining pen, among other things. Doing it successfully to fool the eye close up is mildly time consuming and one must have an intimate knowledge of wood patterns close up.

Why does your tech want to clog the holes with filler rather than cut and install plugs?

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I would guess that it's easier for him to draw a grain pattern that matches than find a piece of rosewood that matches every hole on the neck.

10. CentralCoastBass

CentralCoastBass Guest

Feb 4, 2004

this is the correct way to do it, if your luthier cares.

11. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    No doubt! Good post, 202.

12. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006
    Thank you.

13. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    stickers FTW!

14. I have repaired fretboards and from experience I agree with 202dy's advice, it is the proper way to go for this.