1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

fretboard change

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Andii Syckz, Oct 16, 2013.

1. Andii Syckz

Andii Syckz

Jan 2, 2011
    Montreal
    Hey guys,

wondering if there's such a thing as a material that you can just lay on top of the existing fretboard to make it appear and sound like different material {f.x. maple to rosewood, or etc.}

If yes, what is it called, if not, how can i make a maple fretboard darker?

Thanks,

Sasha

2. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    "Stain"

;)

3. SidMau

SidMau

Sep 3, 2012
    I'd just stain it, as said above. If this is a fretted bass, then a coating wouldn't do much - the neck effects the sound of a bass by its density, not just the top layer. If this is about a fretless instrument, then you can put epoxies and what-have-you over the board but I think it would give the opposite sonic effect you're looking for.

4. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Assuming the fretboard and neck are covered in laquer, it would be a PITA to remove it from the fretboard so you could stain it.

I think it's a bad idea all the way around

5. Andii Syckz

Andii Syckz

Jan 2, 2011
    Montreal
    Actually it's a fretted guitar that i'm redoing everything on (electronics, pickguard, paint etc) but the maple neck wouldn't fit the paint scheme. And i don't want to replace cause 1- I'm low on funds for the moment, and 2- the profile is just superb, it would be a shame to swap out the neck. and 3-it's going to be a gift for a friend of mine.