Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fretboard oil on an unfinished maple board?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by GrooveWarrior, Dec 16, 2005.

1. This seems like a silly question. I just got a new Warrior, and it has an unfinished birdseye maple fretboard. I have never had an unfinished maple board. Can I put fingerboard oil on it like I do with my rosewood boards? Is there any reason that wouldn't be OK?

Also, how can I clean it up when it gets dirty?

2. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    Un finished Maple board? Are you sure? :eyebrow: That seems very strange.........t

3. I thought so as well. It is very dry. The other indication is that there was dirt on it between the strings. It had been hanging in the shop for a few months and many people had played it. I was actually hoping that the oil would clean it up, and it did - almost completely! There are no indications of a finish on it. I actually put some oil on it last night and it accepted it very well and really brought out the birdseye! Go figure.

4. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    What kind of "oil" you may have just limited your options..t

5. I'm not sure I understand.

6. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    What did the can or bottle say? Lemon oil? Tung oil? etc.etc. Some oils dry hard and solid and you could spray something over it, some might be more trouble. Hopefully others will chime in and help here. I haven't put something over an oil coating. Do you play with rounds or flats? Are you hard on fingerboards?

7. tbone0813

tbone0813 The faithless say farewell when the road darkens.

Aug 6, 2005
    Grand Prairie, TX.
    Dude! This is my exact same situation. I have a Warrior that appears to have an unfinished birdseye maple fretboard. What 'oil' did you use to clean it. I was told by several luthiers to use Naptha, but it didn't work. :eyebrow:

8. cleaning maple can be a BEAR! 400 grit sandpaper may be your ticket...and alternate it with wipes of naptha....

once clean, COVER THAT MAPLE!...a rub on furniture-grade polyurethane will work. I used a product called Scandinavian oil, which was a blend of polyurethane and dutch oils on my maple wishbass and it came up beautifully. and it was VERY easy to apply. apply two coats (6-8 hours apart minimum). let it dry for a few (3-4) days to harden completely and you're done.

I can't believe someone out there is selling unfinished maple boards... :confused: very bizarre stuff.

9. Lemon oil is what I use on my uncoated boards, great for cleaning and keeping it un-dry. ;)
    Dry is never good, winter time I do mine a couple times a month due to dry heat inside. Let it soak in a while then wipe off the excess. Hey if all fails write Warrior and ask them for a suggestion, it seems to me they would know best. :)
    Good Luck,
    Dirk

10. I have used this fingerboard oil for the last several years, and I used this to clean and oil it. You can't believe the difference since I used it. Incredible. I am going to do some more coats. I'm not sure what kind of oil it is. Maybe I should find out.

11. tbone0813

Aug 6, 2005
    Grand Prairie, TX.
    I can't find anybody that carries this oil. Where do you get yours from?

12. I bought my second bottle from a music store I happened to stop in to when it was going out of business in Columbus, Indiana. I paid $1 for it. I have no idea where I got the first bottle. Sorry, I know that didn't help a bit. Actually, as I was typing this, I dis another search, and I saw it here. I also saw that they have a lot of band instrument products, so if you have a shop in your area that sells band instruments, you might check there.

13. tbone0813

Aug 6, 2005
    Grand Prairie, TX.
    Thanks. I just placed an order from American Musical.com.