Fretless Double-thump solo

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Mike Flynn, Dec 21, 2004.

1. God, I know I'm terrible, I'm postig another tune - I can't help myself OK...!

I just put some new strings on my fretless 5 and since I've been practicing my slap on fretless, I went a little nuts and knocked down this solo bass piece - it's a mish mash of Wooten and Claypool - and my own fave variations on both - I hope you dig some of it, apologies for losing it in parts.

<a href=http://www.munkio.com/music/Victor/fretlessSlapEDIT.mp3>Fretless Slap Solo</a>

Cheers

Happy Holdays

Mike

2. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    Nice one man, ******* Brilliant.

3. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Noo! Mike strikes again! :bawl:

Bah, I'd totally listen to it but Im at school and there are no speakers. But once I get home tonight, expect a less useless reply.

4. You're quite the master of muting

5. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    Hey mike, what pedal's/effects did you use in that recording?, to achieve the delay/echo of the playing?

6. I recorded it direct via my Tascam US122 USB interface and and it sounded really nice without any effects on it at all - I use Sound Forge which is a good bit of software if you don't want to multi-track, plus it comes with a tonne of plug-in effects. But I thought I'd give it a little sheen with a touch of chorus and a tiny bit of reverb - the last harmonic chord is just a tap-delay that is panned left to right - really basic stuff.

I trimmed about a minute out of this because I just improvised it and wasn't really thinking too much about the 'shape' of it, but it's all based in D minor - hence the low notes on the 5 string - I really want to refine d=some of these ideas - but over-all I like the vibe of a slapped fretless five - sounds pretty raw and wild - but with some added mwahs...

Glad you like it

M

7. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    THumbs up

8. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    :bassist: Very impressive stuff!

9. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    I see, well if i wanted to get that same .. echo/reverb effect, what pedal would do that same thing?

10. A good stomp box (Boss) delay or a rack-mount multi-effects unit - I'm not really an expert on these things - do a search in the 'Effects' forum. I don't normally use that many effects, apart from my EBS IQ and Multi-Comp - but I like getting weird sounds on recordings, though I have yet to get very experimental with them, which I plan to.

Hope that helps a little

M

11. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    sweet!

12. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Dude, very nice! I'd like to hear you do something like that with a rhythm track of some sort as it really has the potential to be a toe tapper!! I've also not heard much, if any, slapping on a fretless. I like the way it sounds! Good work as usual!!

13. Thanks DW - I'll be getting some beats going soon - I have to do some recording over the holidays, aside from eating and watching TV :smug:

M

14. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    It does sound very good, but like, when I think of fretless slap mastery, the ideal, I think of michael manring, and he just does it so amazingly well that anything else just doesn't compare ya know? Unfortunate that I had to have that in my mind as listening, because it was a cool clip.

15. Hey Robot,

I completely agree with you - having seen Manring a month or so ago here in London his slapping on his Hyper-Bass was incredible - he used a very, very light touch indeed - and in many ways this clip was inspired by seeing and hearing Michael do that; he played an amazing version of 'Monley Business Man' which floored us all! The fact you're even comparing what I did to him is quite flattering but to be honest I'm only just getting this stuff together on fretless so it's early days yet.

Thanks again for listening

M

16. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    I HATE YOU MIKE MUNKIO! :spit:

Happy Holidays mate! You continue to amaze me with this stuff.

17. Johnnythekid

Johnnythekid Guest

Dec 20, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    I'm very much diggin' that man. I can't get enough fretless stuff.

18. Cheers Dill - I'm really getting into slapping my fretless now cos I really sucked at it when I first got the bass - it's sounding lovely now - I bought a little Baby Baby Blue SWR amp two days ago and both my basses sound gorgeous now!!! Christmas came early in the Munki house...

have a great holiday guys

Mike

19. HamOnTheCob

HamOnTheCob Jacob Moore Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Endorsing Artist for Warwick Basses, Mesa Engineering, Joyo Technology, Dr. J Pedals, and Levy's Leathers
    Nice clip. I've liked everything I've heard from ya. By the way, off topic, how do you like that Baby Baby Blue? I about bought one of the heads the other day and decided I couldn't afford it...

20. Man, my SWR BBB is lovely - I really, really love it - I have wanted a small high-quality combo for so long and it's really sounding great (I'm so glad I wnet for this over the GK MB150- which I think are good but to my ears sound a bit 'flat').

I haven't owned any SWR gear before but I am seriously warming to the sound I get - and I haven't even cranked it yet, I know it will be loud enough for the small gigs I hope to be doing in the new year - i.e. jazz trio stuff etc - both basses sound just great - slapping the B string on my 5 is really cool too ;) ...cheers for checking my playing out.

BTW - as you're a fellow Warwick user/fan - I tried an awesome NT Thumb 5 yesterday - it really restored my faith in the brand as it were - it sounded beautiful and if it was set up for my style I know it would be a really great bass to own - it was going for 2210 GBP - which is about $4000 US...

M