Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fretless Double-thump solo

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Mike Flynn, Dec 21, 2004.

1. God, I know I'm terrible, I'm postig another tune - I can't help myself OK...!

I just put some new strings on my fretless 5 and since I've been practicing my slap on fretless, I went a little nuts and knocked down this solo bass piece - it's a mish mash of Wooten and Claypool - and my own fave variations on both - I hope you dig some of it, apologies for losing it in parts.

<a href=http://www.munkio.com/music/Victor/fretlessSlapEDIT.mp3>Fretless Slap Solo</a>

Cheers

Happy Holdays

Mike

2. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    Nice one man, ******* Brilliant.

3. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Noo! Mike strikes again! :bawl:

Bah, I'd totally listen to it but Im at school and there are no speakers. But once I get home tonight, expect a less useless reply.

4. You're quite the master of muting

5. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    Hey mike, what pedal's/effects did you use in that recording?, to achieve the delay/echo of the playing?

6. I recorded it direct via my Tascam US122 USB interface and and it sounded really nice without any effects on it at all - I use Sound Forge which is a good bit of software if you don't want to multi-track, plus it comes with a tonne of plug-in effects. But I thought I'd give it a little sheen with a touch of chorus and a tiny bit of reverb - the last harmonic chord is just a tap-delay that is panned left to right - really basic stuff.

I trimmed about a minute out of this because I just improvised it and wasn't really thinking too much about the 'shape' of it, but it's all based in D minor - hence the low notes on the 5 string - I really want to refine d=some of these ideas - but over-all I like the vibe of a slapped fretless five - sounds pretty raw and wild - but with some added mwahs...

Glad you like it

M

7. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    THumbs up

8. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    :bassist: Very impressive stuff!

9. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    I see, well if i wanted to get that same .. echo/reverb effect, what pedal would do that same thing?

10. A good stomp box (Boss) delay or a rack-mount multi-effects unit - I'm not really an expert on these things - do a search in the 'Effects' forum. I don't normally use that many effects, apart from my EBS IQ and Multi-Comp - but I like getting weird sounds on recordings, though I have yet to get very experimental with them, which I plan to.

Hope that helps a little

M

11. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    sweet!

12. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Dude, very nice! I'd like to hear you do something like that with a rhythm track of some sort as it really has the potential to be a toe tapper!! I've also not heard much, if any, slapping on a fretless. I like the way it sounds! Good work as usual!!

13. Thanks DW - I'll be getting some beats going soon - I have to do some recording over the holidays, aside from eating and watching TV :smug:

M

14. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    It does sound very good, but like, when I think of fretless slap mastery, the ideal, I think of michael manring, and he just does it so amazingly well that anything else just doesn't compare ya know? Unfortunate that I had to have that in my mind as listening, because it was a cool clip.

15. Hey Robot,

I completely agree with you - having seen Manring a month or so ago here in London his slapping on his Hyper-Bass was incredible - he used a very, very light touch indeed - and in many ways this clip was inspired by seeing and hearing Michael do that; he played an amazing version of 'Monley Business Man' which floored us all! The fact you're even comparing what I did to him is quite flattering but to be honest I'm only just getting this stuff together on fretless so it's early days yet.

Thanks again for listening

M

16. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    I HATE YOU MIKE MUNKIO! :spit:

Happy Holidays mate! You continue to amaze me with this stuff.

17. Johnnythekid

Johnnythekid Guest

Dec 20, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    I'm very much diggin' that man. I can't get enough fretless stuff.

18. Cheers Dill - I'm really getting into slapping my fretless now cos I really sucked at it when I first got the bass - it's sounding lovely now - I bought a little Baby Baby Blue SWR amp two days ago and both my basses sound gorgeous now!!! Christmas came early in the Munki house...

have a great holiday guys

Mike

19. HamOnTheCob

HamOnTheCob Jacob Moore Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Endorsing Artist for Warwick Basses, Mesa Engineering, Joyo Technology, Dr. J Pedals, and Levy's Leathers
    Nice clip. I've liked everything I've heard from ya. By the way, off topic, how do you like that Baby Baby Blue? I about bought one of the heads the other day and decided I couldn't afford it...

20. Man, my SWR BBB is lovely - I really, really love it - I have wanted a small high-quality combo for so long and it's really sounding great (I'm so glad I wnet for this over the GK MB150- which I think are good but to my ears sound a bit 'flat').

I haven't owned any SWR gear before but I am seriously warming to the sound I get - and I haven't even cranked it yet, I know it will be loud enough for the small gigs I hope to be doing in the new year - i.e. jazz trio stuff etc - both basses sound just great - slapping the B string on my 5 is really cool too ;) ...cheers for checking my playing out.

BTW - as you're a fellow Warwick user/fan - I tried an awesome NT Thumb 5 yesterday - it really restored my faith in the brand as it were - it sounded beautiful and if it was set up for my style I know it would be a really great bass to own - it was going for 2210 GBP - which is about $4000 US...

M