Fretless fingerboard oiling?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by JAL, Feb 18, 2005.

1. JAL

Dec 15, 2004
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Ive read abit about fretboard oiling, and the warwick manual for my bas suggests it. Its a fretless if that helps. Im putting this question out there:
    Should I?
    If so, with what?
  2. NicJimBass

NicJimBass Is this thing on!? Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    DR Strings
    I use either tung oil or gunstock oil.
  3. fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    good question , id like to hear from some people who've tried the different poop that's out there .

/waits patiently.
  4. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
    well..I'll assume we're talking about ebony or rosewood..not maple. After using pure lemon oil for many has become almost impossible to find without petroleum distillates in it. I have since found and have been using bore oil by Fret Doctor. Bore oil is used and recommended by some of the top guitar builders like Scott Lentz. It's great stuff..better then the lemon oil which did not penetrate like this stuff does.

I oil my boards about once a year if that...I live in a humid climate so it's not necessary more often. If you live in a dry climate you may want to oil a couple times a year at most.

that's my 2 cents :)
  5. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    I've been going with Ron Wickersham's recommendation (at Alembic), which is Jasco Lemon Oil. It works great. But only use a little at a time (rub it in for five minutes or so with a chamois or a piece of felt), and don't use any other brand (because of those petroleum distillates and so on, some of which will even strip your finish). I use the Jasco Lemon Oil on the body as well as the board. It smells really good too. :)
  6. ErikP.Bass

ErikP.Bass Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2004
    I would recommend Gerlitz Guitar Honey. I purchased some after it had been suggested to me by several sources.....I believe it is even listed in the Warwick Manuals. I love it!
    The only bad thing about it was that I had a hard time finding a store that carried it....I ended up buying it online. Here is a link to their site :

Hope this helps.
  7. JAL

Dec 15, 2004
    Cleveland, Ohio
    how often do you apply it? I dont want my board feelin like a greased up bodybuilder ;-)