fretless neck - buzzing twang vibration at A note on the D string

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by tortburst, Aug 7, 2019.

1. tortburst

tortburst

Apr 1, 2007
    New Jersey
    I made this video to show how this one note causes a buzz. It’s the A note, fifth ‘fret’ of the D string

Would this be considered a dead note or a wolf tone?

If anyone has advice on what to do about this, if anything, please share.
    If it were an upright bass I’d bring it to a luthier to shave the fingerboard flat.

It’s a Fender fretless precision neck from 1978. I love the shape of it but would like it if it didn’t make that sound.

Thanks!

2. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    You probably have a bit of a hump on the fingerboard. The way to deal with it is the same as with an upright bass - levelling the fingerboard.

3. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Wolf tones and dead spots have to do with specific frequencies that are either emphasized or absorbed by an instrument. This is neither.

First make sure there isn't a defect in the string at that spot. If not then you need to level the board.

4. tortburst

tortburst

Apr 1, 2007
    New Jersey
    The string is ok

I’ll have it leveled. Thank you!

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021