1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fretless suggestions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jon5252, Jan 7, 2012.

1. jon5252

jon5252 Gold Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2009
    Boise Idaho
    Hello all- I a player in what I would call a progressive jazz trio, 35 years experience. Played string bass for a short period in college, most of my career has been 5 string electric bass. Currently I am playing a Stingray 5 HP which is a pretty decent bass, but just does not have the rich, almost acoustic voice I am looking for. I have thought about maybe one of Rob Allen's basses, but they almost seem too one dimensional to me. I have considered maybe a fretless Bongo, and was curious if anyone had experience with one, or had another builder to suggest.

2. mattj1stc

mattj1stc Gold Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2009
    Dallas, TX USA
    I really like my Fender Tony Franklin fretless. P/J pickups and definitely one of the best basses that Fender makes

3. mp40smg

mp40smg

Aug 11, 2010
    Worcester, Ma.
    Depending on your price range... You can get a ren6 for under 2k right now. Viellette might be another good choice but 2x the price.

4. jon5252

Nov 22, 2009
    Boise Idaho
    The Viellette looks interesting. I owned a Ren for a time, and was not keen on the upper register access and neck dive. I hav

5. jon5252

Nov 22, 2009
    Boise Idaho
    I have owned a Ren, not keen on the upper register access or neck dive. The Viellette is interesting. I have also thought about taking a run at a NS Design CR5m, but just am not sure I want that drastic of a change.

6. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    If you want to approach the acoustic sound, it's hard to beat a Rob Allen.

7. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    +1

I must agree about the Rob Allen, though a CR5 would nail it even more. Much of it is what you play and how, not the exact timbre, IMHO. What about a nice Upton Professor upright with gut strings, and several months of lessons and wood-shedding¬ódon't forget a DB-sized vehicle, LOL!

All that said, if you want a nice fretless 4 or 5 slab, I recommend a Nino Valenti. Many choices...

8. jon5252

Nov 22, 2009
    Boise Idaho
    I am toying with that as well. Funny I stopped the DB thing because my car was too small.

9. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Marleaux have a new-ish instrument in their program.
    They call it "diva".
    It is amongst the very few very best I have heard.
    It is very, very good indeed.
    ...and here the relevant link:
    Marleaux BassGuitars, Bass, Diva, fretless, ARTMArleaux