Fretting Hand Frustration

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by bassplayer7768521, Jul 19, 2009.

1. bassplayer7768521

bassplayer7768521

Jun 30, 2009
    Hey guys :bassist:

Lately I've been getting aggravated with my left hand (in my case, my fretting hand) and the way I hold the neck.

I noticed that when I stand up, my bass's neck tilt's downward. To compensate I find my right index finger hugging the bottom of my neck, holding it up.

Is there anything wrong with your upper palm / low finger joints touching the bottom of the neck? If so, what can I do I correct it? At times it feels unnatural, but I have to keep my bass held up.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks.

2. xxpigxx

xxpigxx

Nov 4, 2007
    From what I have learned, keep your hand away from the guitar!

Try shortening the shoulder strap?

3. bassplayer7768521

bassplayer7768521

Jun 30, 2009
    I've shortened the strap, lowered the strap, so i don't think it's the positioning of the bass. It's really only a problem when I fret the E string. the first 5-7 in particular. I have long fingers, so I don't know what the deal is.

4. tobie

tobie

Nov 26, 2008
    I've had this problem with our church's bass. The reason is a slippery canvas-like strap. I've solved it by playing my guitar instead (it has a solid, wide leather strap). If I'm too lazy to carry my guitar to church I take the strap with me and use it for the duration of the service.

And yes - don't let the neck rest on any part of your fretting hand. It's going to mess up your technique, speed and shoulder muscle.

5. fearceol

fearceol

Nov 14, 2006
    Ireland
    Your bass has "neck dive". As tobie says, your strap could be the problem. Try getting one that has some grip.

Ideally the palm of your hand should not touch the neck.

6. BluesBassman065

BluesBassman065

Jul 3, 2009
    Hand away from the neck, it's all about your position. New strap will help you to avoid this playing mistake, and above all the things, stay relaxed while you're playing.

7. Get a leather strap that's at least 3 inches wide - your Bass will stay where you put it then

8. bassplayer7768521

bassplayer7768521

Jun 30, 2009
    Thanks for all of the help guys! I'll have to get a new strap

9. Haruni

Haruni

Jul 6, 2009
  10. bassplayer7768521

bassplayer7768521

Jun 30, 2009
    Could it also just be that my bass isn't balanced well? I admit it's a P.O.S.

11. xzzy

xzzy

Mar 6, 2009
    It could be unbalanced, but unless you're willing to attack the thing with a router, there's not a lot you can do about it. I guess you could start taping strips of lead to the base of the instrument. ;)

Get a strap with more friction and you'll probably be fine.

12. bassplayer7768521

bassplayer7768521

Jun 30, 2009
    Alright, bought 3 pounds of lead at the Home Depot, and Super-glue! I'm about to do some work on this thing. Haha. Yeah that looks like my best option.

13. derekd

derekd

Feb 16, 2009
    KC
    I agree. I hate basses and guitars with neck dive. I wind up wrestling with them everytime I play. If it can be fixed with a strap change, great, otherwise out the door. Not worth it to me.

14. tobie

tobie

Nov 26, 2008
  15. mrjim123

mrjim123 Supporting Member

May 17, 2008
    Indy
    RougHouse
    +1. That's all I've used (same strap for 35 years) and I've NEVER had neck dive.

16. Fergie Fulton

Fergie Fulton

Nov 22, 2008
    Braintree
    Retrovibe Artist rota
    The above statement is false to a point(shoulder muscle is in no danger) and has no bearing if you play rock or metal. As for the hand on the fretboard it actualy it becomes important to blend it in to your technique for rock and metal.

Yes a wider strap will help your problem and if it does not, then change your bass for a better balanced one.