1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fringe (TV series)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Tituscrow, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

Feb 14, 2011
    NW England
    I've asked a few questions here and there and started a few threads about some of the great - and not so great - TV shows that air in the UK after screening in the US.

The responses and feedback have been overwhelmingly positive and I've hit on some TV gold thanks to the good folk of TBOT.

Here's the question....I consider myself a bit of a sci-fi/supernatural thriller afficionado, but I feel I've missed a trick by never catching Fringe. The premise sounds great, but I'd have to start from the very beginning. I'm going to treat myself to a DVD box set soon and I am considering giving it a go.

So...is it worth investing what will be a considerable amount of time? Any fans?

2. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011
    Fun show, I've enjoyed it.

3. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Don't forget to decipher the codes before the commercial breaks.

4. mbelue

mbelue

Dec 11, 2010
    The Mrs and I just started watching Fringe on Amazon prime. There are some great characters and ideas. The main character has the worst writing in just about any sci fi show I've seen in a long time. Still there is a mad-scientist type who is awesome though so we dealt with" Olivia" to get to him.
    Just started second season and so far the writing has vastly improved. There isn't so much obviousness. Have fun!

5. Bloodhammer

Bloodhammer Twinkle Twinkle Black Star

Jul 7, 2009
    Shreveport, Louisiana
    When it was in its first season, and I actually had a TV, I tried to catch it on the nights it came on. It reminded me of what The X-Files was before it turned into a soap opera. I liked it, but haven't seen it at all since then.

6. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    I watched some of the first two or three seasons, but I lost interest after that.

7. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

Feb 14, 2011
    NW England
    Hmm. Not the ringing endorsements I'd hoped for, but encouraging more than not.

Flash Forward was another one I missed. Is that worth a shot?

I guess I'm still looking to fill that 'Lost'-shaped hole in my life :)

8. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Flash Forward has an interesting premise, but it was cancelled before a second season was produced.
    The story doesnt get wrapped up enough by the first seasons finale. If the premise interests you, Id give it a watch. I enjoyed most of it.

As for Fringe, it was a good show, I just wasnt always around when it aired. I stopped watching because I started missing too many episodes.

9. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

Feb 14, 2011
    NW England
    That's my worry about FF. I loved The Event and after getting all excited at the end of the first series, I then discovered it had been canned. 'Gutted' was an understatement!

Same with 666 Park Avenue, which is on episode 4 here, and I'm actually quite enjoying it, but have found out that one isn't getting a second series either.

'The 4400' is another one I feel I should give a watch?

10. lotusland9663

lotusland9663 Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Vancouver BC Canada
    When the series started it focused on the "crazy" science experiments that the US, USSR and other world powers were doing during and after the Second World War. It was very cool. The idea being some evil force gets ahold of these experiments and takes them to the max. I really liked that concept - then they got into this evil parallel universe thing and they lost me.

11. My fiancee and I started watching the series from the very beginning, and then she dropped out near S2 or 3, while I stuck it out to the series finale. She tried jumping back in later and was completely lost.

This is one of those shows that you (unfortunately?) need to watch every episode in sequence, or else you can miss "vital" information.

12. blue4

blue4

Feb 3, 2013
    St. Louis area
    I liked it a lot up until the last season. Then it ran way off the rails. I still have the last two episodes on my dvr, but I don't know if I'll get around to watching then or not.

13. mbelue

mbelue

Dec 11, 2010
    Am I the only one who thinks the dialog bit hard in the first season?

14. My feelings exactly. I finished the series though, if for any reason I finished for closure.

Great Sci-Fi series though :)

15. OldDog52

OldDog52 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    I watched the first couple seasons, really liked it. But then something got in the way of me keeping up with it and I dropped out. This thread has reminded me to go back to it.

16. If you love the X-Files you will ****ing hate Fringe. The title sequence says it all: a series of scrolling buzzwords like "time warp," "psychic telemetry," "black hole ghosts," or some ****.

It is dumb dumb dumb. And I gave it most of the first two seasons, and a few of the last couple. I just thought there would be some sweet reveal. Instead, oh yay, everyone's got a psychic twin or something. Lame.

17. Fuzzy Dustmite

Fuzzy Dustmite

Jan 25, 2005
    Mesa, AZ
    I watched them all and the last two seasons story-wise were weak I still enjoyed watching it. Another sci-fi / aliens show that was great but only got one season was Invasion.

18. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I was disappointed they cancelled Flash Foward.

19. 6jase5

6jase5 Mammogram is down but I'm working manually

Dec 17, 2007
    San Diego/LA
    That said, at least in this thread, I buck the Fringe mold...I like it and have probably watched every episode with the missus. I guess that I don't have the overwhelming expectation that I'm going to be blown away by any tv show week after week. If I'm entertained, that's enough.

You will need to memorize the pre-commercial graphic sequence to properly understand the outcome of the episode two weeks prior to the one you are watching (I think someone mentioned it).

20. I thought the same about the first season, like a re-inventing of the first few seasons of the X-Files.

I didn't manage to keep track of it beyond the first season but I keep meaning to go back.

Also in the Sci-Fi line, quite like Warehouse 13, though it's a bit less serious.