Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

From vinyl to CD

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by 64lusso, Jan 27, 2006.

1. 64lusso

64lusso

Jan 20, 2006
    central Va
    please redirect this to the proper forum if this isn't the correct place for this question. I just bought a fretless bass and was getting ready to go out and buy some Jaco Cd's but I have his solo album on vinyl as well as just about all of the Weather Report stuff from the 70's so I have the music just not in the right format. I still have a pretty good turntable so my question is what's the easyest way to get this music onto CD. I am not real computer savvy and would like to put an empahsis on easy! I can think of plenty more uses for this than just this one project as I have a pretty good record collection from the old days, so it doesn't necessarily have to be the cheapest solution.
    Thanks, Jay

2. Run the audio out from your turntable into the line in on your computer soundcard. Pick up some software that will record audio if you don't already have some. Record the vinyl onto your computer, then burn it to CD.

3. When I did it, I went to Guitar Center and bought a DJ/Turntable preamp. I dont know what brand it was, but it was a little red box and cost about $30 I think. You run the RCAs and ground from the turntable into this preamp, then from the preamp into your line in.

As far as software, there is a bunch of stuff you can use.. SoundForge has plugins that you can buy that are specifically for doing this. It'll seperate the tracks for you (detects the silence between songs on your record) and it'll clean up the scratches too. It says it'll remove the scratches in audio, and it can, but you have to squelch the quality down soo bad it sucks. If you set it moderatly, it'll minimize the scratchs sounds while still keeping good quality.

From there, you can just export from Sound Forge to WAV or MP3.

Edit: FYI, SoundForge is only one option and really isnt the cheapest.. I know there is a bunch of software that will do this. I'm just familiar with SF and I had it already. Supposedly this software: http://www.dbpoweramp.com/ will do it also.

4. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az

Records have what's known as an RIAA eq curve--if your preamp doesn't have this curve than the bass frequencies from the record will not make it to the CD, unless your software has an RIAA option.

Cakewalk's Plasma is inexpensive software that also provides an inexpensive LP transfer solution. www.cakewalk.com

5. 64lusso

64lusso

Jan 20, 2006
    central Va
    Thanks guys, this looks like some good food for thought, I was hoping there was some way to do this without getting the computer in the middle of it but it looks like that might make the best way to do this. I guess I could hire my 16 year old daughter as a consultant to help with the computer part of this project!

6. Skeezix

Skeezix

Sep 28, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
  7. 64lusso

64lusso

Jan 20, 2006
    central Va
    Skeezix, That looks more like what I was thinking about, I couldn't even find the proper device on those other sites. Should be able to find one locally as well---THanks

8. Skeezix

Skeezix

Sep 28, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    They sell them here locally at Circuit City.