Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

front inlay question... HELP

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by soontobedead, Jan 13, 2006.

1. soontobedead

soontobedead

Jul 14, 2005
    Hello there. I posted this exact same thread at the setup & repair forum some time before and didn't get a reply, so i guess you, specialized people, could give any hints

Thanks in advance

STBD

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hey, folks! so, i was REALLY into the idea of defretting my 6-string and fill the slots w/ dark filler (rosewood fingerboard), so i was waiting till next week to send to the local luthier to do it. As usual, i was checking around the boards and saw a post by philbiker claiming that defretting a FB with inlays in the front instead of the side (like fretless basses have) is a no-no because they are not properly aligned with the notes, thus rendering the bass harmful to my technique and aesthetically unpleasant. I really can't afford another neck (plus, getting a 6-string one here in my country is like finding a needle in a haystack and getting a Warmoth is out of the question), so i wondered if the there is something i can do with it. PLEASE, help :help: :crying: ... my heart sinks every time i check those inlays :rollno:

2. Assuming it's a 4 string where no strings hit the dots, you can drill out the dots and fill them with something dark like the rosewood fretboard dust generated as you level your new fretless fingerboard. Just fill with the dust and drop a few drops of superglue in the hole. Let it set and fill it up again. Keep doing this until the dot has been filled. Then sand it off and blend with the rest of the board

OR

Just fill the dot with superglue over and over as it cures, until it's bulging just above the fingerboard. Then file and sand off the protruberance and blend with the rest. The dark wood really makes the dot dark when you use the clear superglue.

3. soontobedead

soontobedead

Jul 14, 2005
    me and my mental health thank you heaps, mr. hambone :hyper: