1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD FS: 1957 Fender Precision Bass ... Clone

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by BassJunkie730, Oct 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BassJunkie730

BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    Brooklyn
    Greetings guys and gals,

Well after MUCHO deliberation with the other personalities in my head, I've decided that I am in fact crazy for doing this but the time has come.

I'm posting my 1957 Precision Bass Clone up for sale.

I didn't do a build thread on TB, but this has been my best creation to date.
    I've recorded two albums on it, almost every demo for this site, and gigged a bit with it - but for the last two years it's been sitting pretty (literally) in my studio just being recorded with.

This bass does have a little sentimental value - but I think the value of it to another prospective buyer - especially one that WISHES he or she could own a real 1957 P-bass outweighs my own.

The specs are basically identical to a real '57

1.75" nut
    One piece Maple neck in clear nitro
    vintage fretwire (think Lakland)
    Lightweight Alder body finish in TS nitro
    Butt truss rod nut
    Bone nut
    Anodized aluminum guard
    250k pots
    I even put an old switchcraft jack in there from the 70s for more vintage vibe.
    Angela Paper in Foil .47 uf capacitor

Not here's where this bass BEATS a '57
    It needs NO upgrades!

Hipshot Vintage brass bent plate bridge with .75" string spacing
    Hipshot HB3 Classic period correct tuners with a 20:1 gear ratio for precise tuning
    Nordstrand NP4

BAM!

It does NOT have strap pins. I removed those a long time ago since I was only holding it.

To top it off - it's basically a FENDER! the neck and body are both Genuine Replacement Parts (stamps are shown below) designed to replace a broken vintage neck or body.
    These parts are no longer made - and finding them in any condition is rare - but I bought the body - brand new (I even tried to sell it - no takers though :D)

both the neck and body were made 6 months from each other in 2000 - so I'd say this is a 2000 Fender Clone. A fine tribute to a real 1957 Precision bass.

it has a little rash on the back (only in the top coats no gouges), has strap wear near the butt.
    It also has a dent in the Maple board before the 18th fret on the low E string. it's superficial and does not affect playability at all.

Speaking of which - the bass is a sheer joy to play - really fits comfy in the hands and it's only 7.5lbs according to the bathroom scale - lightest bass i've owned yet.

No hardshell case - BUT I'd feel very comfortable shipping in one - so we can work something out even if it means me going to GC and picking up a case just to ship in.

Here are some pics

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So I'm trying to price this right and I think given the quality of the build - the rarity of the wood (in terms of the discontinued fender parts) and the fact you don't see something like this often let's try

$1000 plus shipping

2. BassJunkie730

BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    Brooklyn
    I may be open to partial trades plus cash.

I'm really looking to downsize though - so priority goes to the all cash deal.

I'm really looking for - well if it's a bass then

some 4 banger with a bridge pickup - Stingrays, L2000's, possibly jazz basses (ones with a vintage vibe are appreciated.)

I'm still looking for a Fender Reverb unit and a Foxrox Octron

and of course nice mics, compressors, and mic pres.

3. Mrdak

Mrdak uber bass geek baby!

Feb 1, 2006
    Middle GA
    Nice job Bubba.................. good luck.

4. BassJunkie730

BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    Brooklyn
    I should also mention that I'll entertian best offers too.

5. Nice. How low of action can you get without producing fret buzz at "normal" play styles (not too aggressive plucking).

John

6. BassJunkie730

BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    Brooklyn
    When I get home tomorrow I'll measure the current action. Though it always seemed low to me. Certainly not cumbersome. The bass is definitely a joy to play. Or I wouldn't have worked so much with it.

7. Out of curiosity why did you remove the Fender logo from the headstock? Were you planning on getting a vintage Precision logo?

8. BassJunkie730

BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    Brooklyn
    I didn't remove any logo that's how the bass came. It was never a priority to give it the same branding of fender. And more importantly. One of the reasons they stopped making the parts was that people were trying to pass them off as real vintage instruments. That's how close the neck and body are in terms of the "fender formula" for the 50s and early 60s

9. Cool! Just to clarify I was not judging in any way just curious. I personally see no problem with putting Fender decals on a Fender neck especially since they are clearly marked as authorized replacements.

Also to those that have not played these necks they are amazingly good. I had the 62 neck on a Precision for awhile and it was amongst the best necks I ever played.

10. Mrdak

Feb 1, 2006
    Middle GA
    Hell yeah Johnny..... Those 57\62 RI replacement necks are probably the same ones that went on AV RI's.
    I had one a couple years ago, and couldn't tell them apart. Those necks came from fender without a decal.... just a stamp.
    Damn.... I wish I could buy this... I'd sell my Jazz, and have a P with rounds, and a P with flats.

11. Maybe the 57 one did. My 62 (and others I saw) came with a Fender waterslide logo. It did not say "Precision Bass" though just "Fender"

And yeah they were advertised as the same as what was on the AVRI but the one I had was nicer than what was on the standard AVRI I had. Excellent necks!

Bump for a great looking bass.

12. Mrdak

Feb 1, 2006
    Middle GA
    yeah yeah yeah............. I remember that.... just Fender. The logo looks kinda naked like that, but I wish they were still available.

bump dis dude again.....

13. BassJunkie730

BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    Brooklyn
    Bump for a bass with Low Action

I just checked and with each string depressed at the last fret the action at the 7th fret is right around 1/32" nice and low - with no buzzing.

No offers yet.

I still don't want to drop the price since this is my baby.

I'll give it one more week on TB then I'll just take it off the market.

Thanks.

14. BassJunkie730

BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    Brooklyn
    bump

15. sleepytime

sleepytime

Nov 10, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    This puzzled me for a moment. Do you mean depressed at the first fret?

16. BassJunkie730

BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    Brooklyn
    bump for a price drop.

Also I measure the action by holding the string down at the 21st fret and then measure the distance from the top of the 7th fret to the bottom of the corresponding string.

BUt all in all - the action is LOW.

17. BassJunkie730

BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    Brooklyn
    I relisted this bass because unemployment is taking it's toll

I dropped the price $300

It's now $1000 plus shipping

Cash is king now. Please PM other cash offers as well.

This is life.

18. BassJunkie730

BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    Brooklyn
    bump

19. Man... I wish I had the money. I doubt you'd take 100 bucks? :bag:

20. jazz3625tonic

jazz3625tonic Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2003
    Canada
    PM sent.