SOLD FS: 1985 Fender MIJ Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Bassguy1, Feb 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bassguy1

Bassguy1

Feb 10, 2006
    U.S. - Midwest
    Serial Number C005243. A little bit of Fender trivia….my search indicated that in March of 1985, CBS sold Fender to a group of private investors and during 1985 to 1987, production of Fender guitars and basses was only done in Japan (hence the MIJ), while USA Fender created a new factory in California. Apparently the head guy that took over Fender during that period came to Fender from Yamaha and was more impressed with Japanese workmanship then American. I also found this tidbit of information from a Fender dealer. "In looking at many Japanese fender basses over time, one might notice that some say "Made In Japan" while others are marked with "Crafted In Japan". This distinction arose from a contractual negotiation with FujiGen Gakki. All instruments made by FujiGen Gakki are marked "Made in Japan" while Fender instruments made by any other company proudly bear "Crafted in Japan". Since 2007, models other than FujiGen Gakki now bear the "Made in Japan" words". I assume this information is valid and I can't say for sure but it sure is interesting. This jazz bass sounds awesome and is strung with TI Jazz flats. The neck and fretboard are in excellent shape and the truss rod works as it should. There are a few minor dings in the body along with some scratches from belt buckles on the back but nothing major for a 25 year old bass. On this particular model bass Fender routed the body for access to the truss rod adjustment at the heel of the neck so I routed the pickguard to match and allow easier access. You'll also notice the ground wire between the A and D strings going from the bridge to the bridge pickup. I was also informed that this was done by Fender to emulate the way early Fender 60's jazz basses were designed. The previous owner slightly repositioned the control plate to make it line up better with the pickguard but the only way to tell is to remove the control plate. Asking $540 shipped in a hard shell case to lower 48. I'm not looking for any trades as I promised my wife I'd get down to only one bass, my trusted P :(

HPIM0746.gif
    HPIM0757.gif
    HPIM0760.gif
    HPIM0755.gif

2. cjSwygard

cjSwygard

Dec 25, 2009
    IC Iowa
    You have a PM

3. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I have the black version of your bass. It is REALLY a nice bass.

4. Bassguy1

Bassguy1

Feb 10, 2006
    U.S. - Midwest
    PM replied.

5. Bassguy1

Bassguy1

Feb 10, 2006
    U.S. - Midwest
    Sale pending

6. jfunk

jfunk

Oct 14, 2007
    Cincinnati, OH
    Dibs if the sale doesn't go through.

7. i wish i was quicker--i've always wanted a bass as old as me haha!

8. Bassguy1

Bassguy1

Feb 10, 2006
    U.S. - Midwest

I'll let you know. Thanks.

9. Bassguy1

Bassguy1

Feb 10, 2006
    U.S. - Midwest
    Sold

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.