1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

For Sale FS Only: MTD 535-24 Redwood / Primavera & Ebony / Maple

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by bigbassdaddy, Jun 13, 2018.

1. bigbassdaddy

bigbassdaddy Supporting Member

Jul 15, 2008
    Southern California
    Price:
    Strings:
    OK, bought this last summer - it's an excellent-sounding MTD, but alas, I've purchased a Sadowsky NYC and need to come up with some of the necessary funds. IMG_1435.JPG

MTD 535-24 USA Specs:
    Body: Primavera
    Top: Redwood Burl
    Neck: Maple
    Fingerboard: Ebony
    Pickups: MTD Bartolini Custom
    Preamp: MTD Bartolini Custom
    Scale: 35"
    Frets: 24 frets (used to be fretless, but frets installed by Greg Back of Buzz Feiten system fame in Southern California). Hence no zero fret. And hence the Buzz Feiten sticker.
    Weight: 9lbs

Case: Will include an old but functional HSC.

Note that this is a player's bass, and has some wear (see pics for details) . . . if you are looking for a "closet queen", then keep on looking elsewhere!

But - if you're budget-minded and want to get into the MTD USA sound for lots less than ordering a new one from Mike, this just may be the ticket.

Price includes FedEx insured shipping to West of the Mississippi - east coasters add $25.

String-to-string balance is phenomenally good (usually is with USA MTDs, but this one sounds exceptional). Grand piano "like" tone with the ebony/maple neck.

I do have some sloppy sound samples available via Drop Box - send me your email address if you'd like to get the link.

See pictures for details, and please let me know if you have any questions.

Last deal thread on this bass FYI:
    SOLD - MTD 535-24 Redwood Burl Top - Primavera Body [PRICE DROPPED]

Also the thread from 2015 in which a fellow TBer describes the conversion from fretless to fretted (work done by Greg Back in So Cal with Mike's official fret wire):
    TRADED - MTD 535-24

IMG_1436.JPG
    IMG_1439.JPG
    IMG_1440.JPG
    IMG_1450.JPG
    IMG_1448.JPG
    IMG_1445.JPG

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    five7, Viggo51, Fred312b and 2 others like this.
  2. Viggo51

Viggo51 Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2012
    Portland Oregon
    Sweet bass! I just acquired a redwood frettless conversion as well, don't miss the Zero fret!

tminus10 and bigbassdaddy like this.
  3. tminus10

tminus10 Supporting Member

May 1, 2011
    Seattle
    The B string on my previous MTD ruined all other B strings for me. And I didn't miss the zero fret on my conversion either. GLWTS

Viggo51 and bigbassdaddy like this.
  4. Bryan Abel

Bryan Abel Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2015
    Albuquerque, NM
    Great price on a sweet bass!

5. bigbassdaddy

bigbassdaddy Supporting Member

Jul 15, 2008
    Southern California
    Thanks for the feedback, gentlemen! Agreed - I've owned a bunch of MTDs, and they generally have very good B strings (not all, but most) - this one has one of the best. The zero fret is a cool feature, but I haven't "missed" it at all on this bass.

Killer deal here folks - feel free to run offers by me, worst I can say is 'no'!