1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD FS Skjold CS-5 Walnut/Sapele

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Strangeglow, Apr 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Strangeglow

Strangeglow

Jul 17, 2006
    Austin, TX.
    Skjold CS-5. Curly walnut over sapele. Approx 9.5lbs.

This is the bass featured in the GuitarWorld review of Skjold basses. I believe it's been owned by a couple of people here in the Skjold club. Fat punchy sound. Very dynamic. Great ergonomics.

4 position pickup selector - neck, blend series, blend parallel, bridge. 3 band eq with mid sweep. Hardware bypass.

Has dunlop straplocks installed.

There's only one issue with the bass. There's a discoloration on the headstock. My understanding from Pete is that the glue used for the headstock veneer reacted with the finish. It's cosmetic only and has no structural effect. You can see it clearly in the first photo.

$2300 shipped to the continental US. oaypal e-check preferred includes ProTex gigbag.

jw

headstock_front.

headstock_back.

body_front.

body_back.

2. Basso Gruvitas

Basso Gruvitas Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2000
    Dallas/Ft. Worth TX
    Great deal on a Skjold. Sure to make some bassist very happy.

3. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    I've had personal experience with this bass, and yeah, it's a great one. A lot of low mid grunt to this one. Big beefy tone.

Even better, props to the OP here for "full disclosure" because really, that picture makes that discoloration even look WAY worse than it does in person. It's been that way ever since it was brand new, over 2 years ago, and it doesn't look to me as if it's changed at all. I don't even think you can tell it's there from any distance whatsoever.

Not to mention that rare piece of walnut on the top. You don't see that kind of ultra tight flaming in walnut very often. This was essentially a special reserve top originally, which is a big part of why it was selected for the magazine review.

This is a good deal.

4. Strangeglow

Strangeglow

Jul 17, 2006
    Austin, TX.
    Thanks Vic. The flash does make it look worse than it is. I've never had anyone trying the bass out even notice it. But better to make people aware of it than deal with disappointment later.

jw

5. Alphaman

Alphaman Gold Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2008
    STL
    This bass is smoking!

6. Pete skjold

Pete skjold Gold Supporting Member

May 29, 2004
    Warsaw Ohio
    Thanks for disclosing the finish issue , I disclosed it to the original owner and the bass was reduced for this reason . It is repairable if someone wants to pay the cost to refinish the headstock .

This bass new would be well over 4000.00 as it is spec'ed . I don't even have Walnut like that anymore , and that alone would retail from many other builders at over 1000.00 .

If someone is interested in this , and has specific questions , they can always PM here .

Good luck with the sale ,

Pete

7. 82Daion

82Daion

Nov 14, 2006
    Having had a chance to see (and play) this bass in person, the tone and feel are fantastic, and the walnut is truly incredible.

Bump for a great bass and a great seller.

8. BIGREDSIX

BIGREDSIX Supporting Member

PM'd you...

9. Strangeglow

Strangeglow

Jul 17, 2006
    Austin, TX.
    PM's replied. Still available.

10. Strangeglow

Strangeglow

Jul 17, 2006
    Austin, TX.
    Friday Bump!

11. Smallequestrian

Smallequestrian Rock and/or Roll

Jul 6, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Beta Tester: Source Audio
    This bass is awesome people...the line should be 5 deep!

12. mathman7

mathman7

Jan 18, 2009
    Elkton, MD
    PM sent

13. Strangeglow

Strangeglow

Jul 17, 2006
    Austin, TX.
    PM's replied

14. Strangeglow

Strangeglow