1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD FS: Wendler Electrocoustic first built 5 string fretless

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Marcus Willett, Oct 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Endorsing Artist: Bag End - Dean Markley - Thunderfunk
    This is another item I hate to let go, but I've got some medical bills that need to be taken care of, so some tough calls....

Anyway, this is literally the very first 5 string bass Dave Wendler (http://www.electrocoustic.com) ever built. He was living in Branson at the time and just starting to get into Electrocoustic basses, and wanted to see how a 5 string would turn out. I had a few esthetic ideas, so it's different from his normal 5 string models.

For those not familiar with Dave's system, it's a piezo-equipped setup that is passive (yes, you read that right) and allows full blending between the piezo pickup and magnetic. No special cable or power supply or anything of the sort is needed. It sounds great, it doesn't clack like most piezo basses...it sounds like wood. Hipshot Ultralite tuners.

Bass is strung with Thomastik Jazz flats, which add to the woody tone. Sample (actually me playing a Zawinul tune, "Midnight Mood") here.

These usually run in the $1300-$1500 range, depending. Asking $750. Feel free to ask any questions.

Attached Files:

2. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    And now we bump

Open to reasonable offers...

3. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    Great bass!
    I'm so glad/sad that it isn't a lefty!
    Good luck on the sale.

4. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:

I have the third fretless 5'er Dave made.
    Looks just like this one. They sound amazing.
    Great price.

5. FretlessMainly

FretlessMainly

Nov 17, 2010
    It does indeed! Are there side dots? If so, are they "at pitch" and at what positions (e.g., 3 5 7 9 12 15 17 19...).

6. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Yes, there are side dots. They are at position (i.e. where your finger would go, NOT between where frets would be) and they are at the usual spots.

7. FretlessMainly

FretlessMainly

Nov 17, 2010
    Great. A few more questions:

1. Can you post a photo of the back of the neck?
    2. Weight?
    3. Scale?
    4. I'm curious about the bridge. Is that a piece of foam you made or is that an intentional part of the bridge setup?
    5. Is the bridge adjustable?
    6. What is the action like?
    7. Do you string through that block where the knobs are located?

Thanks for your indulgence. It's an interesting bass and I'm pondering...

8. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    I'll see about getting one, but it's unremarkable. Neck is in good shape with no appreciable dings or whatnot
    It's extremely light, less than 7lbs, which is part of Dave's whole approach.
    34"
    Yeah, I put that over the strings to give it a more upright-y thud. You could take it off if you wanted.
    A bit, but not much. It intonates well, and of course it is a fretless.
    Got it set at a medium height. I like to be able to lay into it a bit with this bass, and the Thomastiks are very flexible.
    That block is unique to this bass (AFAIK). It does not string through the body. The strings pass under the front part of the block, so are top-loaded but pass under the wood. This was an idea Dave and I came up with because I did not want a pickguard (which is where Dave usually puts the controls) and so this became a place to put the volume and blend knobs.
    It is indeed, and quite unique for those into that sort of thing.

9. I have heard many cuts of these Electrocoustics and they sound absolutely great.

Cheers.

10. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Thanks, FretlessMainly

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.