1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ft. Lauderdale???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by esoxhntr, Mar 9, 2013.

1. esoxhntr

esoxhntr Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2007
    Markham, Ontario
    So I'm holed up in Ft. Lauderdale overnight. Any bass stuff/places/stores worth looking into?

2. You can always visit the Jaco Pastorius park for some Mojo...

3. esoxhntr

Jun 21, 2007
    Markham, Ontario
    Huh... just visited the website... not sure there's enough mojo for both my son and I... does anything happen there, or is it just the wall?

4. Mitchthebassplayer

Mitchthebassplayer

Jan 7, 2008
    Queens, NY
    Endorsing Artist: Olinto, La Bella, JuleAmps, Epifani
    been there....it's nice to see but then that's it. Growing up in south Florida, MAE in Davie always had killer bass gear to rock on and vintage and rare/expensive basses, although the last time i was there they had sorta sold out going for the sam ash/guitar center vibe....

5. Mitchthebassplayer

Mitchthebassplayer

Jan 7, 2008
    Queens, NY
    if Way of the Groove is playing anywhere it's worth it....Julius Pastorius plays drums and some of my good friends are in the band. If felix isn't on tour he'll be playing bass.

6. ShoeManiac

ShoeManiac Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2006
    New Jersey
    I was in Ft Lauderdale a few weeks ago and was wondering the same thing, myself. I knew of Jaco's connection, but didn't really have the time to do anything music related. However, there's a gastro-pub on Las Olas boulevard where my wife & I had an awesome dinner. If you can, check out the Royal Pig Pub.

7. esoxhntr

Jun 21, 2007
    Markham, Ontario
    I was kind of hoping something would be playing there, but they don't seem to have much scheduled.

8. esoxhntr

Jun 21, 2007
    Markham, Ontario
    Mmmmmm... looks like some tasty eats, and it's not to far away. Might get to check into that, thanks!

9. esoxhntr

Jun 21, 2007
    Markham, Ontario
    Wow, I hope MAE has a little more in basses than the Squire and Ibanez gear on the website...

10. MrJmanzor

MrJmanzor

Feb 21, 2013
    Didn't know there were this many south Floridians X3.

North-east here myself but still cool ^_^

11. Mitchthebassplayer

Mitchthebassplayer

Jan 7, 2008
    Queens, NY
    back in the day MAE was where I got to play and experience foderas and vintage fenders when I was a kid learning how to play. They have sort of a back room to the side of the guitar section with all this vintage/NOS gear you can make deal with them on...I've found some incredible pieces. But yeah, the last time I was there maybe a year ago there were no vintage axes or super high end basses to be found but all brand new fenders and the like

12. fabubass

fabubass

Jan 13, 2006
    Go to Guitar Center, Hallandale Beach BLVD. or new location, Lyons Road Coconut Creek. The Best, for me, Is Sam Ash, Peppertree Plaza, Coconut creek (little north of Lauderdale)
    They have a great Set Up guy there, great selection and all the basses are set up great so you can buy it in the morning and gig with it at night
    Good Luck

13. I agree except for G.C. Hallandale. I will NEVER set foot in that store again.
    MAE on Davie Blvd. is good, but they keep bankers hours.

14. The GC in Hallandale has a much larger selection, and the Platinum room. I was there couple of days ago there were some very cool vintage Fenders, including a baby blue 1961 but I think they were asking $14,000.

If you go there try to deal with Grant A. , he is very knowledgeable and cool.

15. esoxhntr

Jun 21, 2007
    Markham, Ontario
    Oof... wish I known this yesterday. Oh well, never got much past the hot tub at the pool (didn't have a car rental, and the hotel shuttle was very limited). I did get to some crab shack with pretty good food, thought would have greatly preferred the Pig Pub.

Leaving for the boat now, but greatly appreciative of the suggestions, and will certainly keep them in mind for the next time.

Maybe there should be a section in the forums for things to do when in (insert geographical location here)?

16. DaveAceofBass

DaveAceofBass Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    MAE used to be awesome...last time I was there it was just okay. Go to Mango's on Las Olas and try to catch James McCoy's R&B band...or head to Miami and try to hear Martin Bejerano playing some sick jazz...Van Dyke's is a good spot in South Beach.

17. MAE used to be great. Went there last week and other than a few Ibanez, Fender and Squiers it looked like the place was going out of business. Sad. Nothing like it was 10 yrs ago. Very sad.

18. Mitchthebassplayer

Mitchthebassplayer

Jan 7, 2008
    Queens, NY
    They must have been bought out by newer owners cause the whole charm of that place was that they WEREN'T Sam Ash or Guitar Center and now it seems they're attempting to jump on that wagon years after the fact and no one cares now :(....very sad I have great memories there

19. BassGuyFL

BassGuyFL Formerly known as RichardCranium Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2009
    Boynton Bch FL
    Interesting comments about MAE I had some bad experiences there over the years and was so glad when GC and Sam Ash opened and the 20 minutes that Mars Music was open was cool too.

20. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Yeah, it's sad about MAE. I bought my very first bass from them in 1982(!) at a previous location--I think they were on the east end of Davie Blvd. then. A late 60s Vox Cougar for $175. I still have it, but it has the dreaded ski jump neck now.

I started dropping in there a few years ago during visits to South Florida to see family and friends, and I could see the steady decline. I haven't even bothered on my last couple trips.