Full circle or Bass max, what would you do?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Danko, Apr 1, 2005.

1. Ok here is my dilemma...

My bass has a pretty weird neck angle, so my bridge needs to be quite small. The current bridge

this one

is about 13.5cm (5.3in) high and my action is too high for my likings. So I need a pickup, but there is problem with both choices (FC and BM).

Full circle would need a luthier to install because I'm afraid I can't make my bridge into an adjustable one.

But with BM there is another problem. You can see in the photo that there is no surface between "arms" and "legs" of the bridge required to install the BM. So I can't again use this bridge unless cutting it, which I'm afraid to do alone.

I'm willing to buy a new bridge with either of the pickups (because I don't still have any preference toward either), BUT that bridge needs to be smaller than 13cm. If adjustable, I'd like to be able to go from 12.7 to 13.7 cm.

So, one thing is clear, whichever route I take, I'll have to visit the luthier. What would you do if you were in my shoes?
    a. New bridge+BM
    b. New bridge+FC
    c. Use old bridge with huge reconstruction in order to put FC
    d. Use old bridge with some reconstruction and BM installation.

Thanks for all your thoughts!

2. PS: Don't mind the guitar pickup on the bridge I'm currently fiddling with.

3. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    My money? The FullCircle, hands-down. There are a lot of BassMax fans here, but the one I had was on my bass for about a week before I passed it on to a student.

Fill out your profile. Welcome to TB.
  4. Thanks for your answer and welcome. Umm, I need to check how to fill out that profile thing. :)

Take care,

5. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Another vote for the Full Circle. The Bass Max sounds good on some basses, but the FC seems to be a lot more consistent, which probably has something to do with a more consistent amount of pressure on the element. I imagine a poorly fitted Full Circle could sound pretty bad...I just haven't seen one yet.
  6. Polyanski

Mar 16, 2004
    West Michigan
    How about both? Sorry for interruption. I am using FC. Is it worth it to get a BM in addition?
  7. Thanks all for your replies. I filled out the profile too. :)

What about the bridge? Do you guys think I should keep the old one or buy a new one with a pickup. If new, which would you suggest (reminder... needs to be smaller than 13cm).

I realize the first link I posted for my bridge doesn't work anymore. Here is a new link if you want to see my current bridge:

Take care,

8. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Kind of a low-res shot. What's the big black thing on the bridge?

I don't think a BassMax would work too well with those wings.
  9. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    With a bridge that short any wing-mounted pickup would likely favor the side on which it was installed. I concur with the Full Circle recommendation; it sits further away from the string contact points and would provide a more balanced sound.
  10. Thanks Ray for your insight. The pic can't be bigger because I think that's max what yahoo would allow me to share. The black thingie is a guitar pickup I was trying out. Nothing that works well though. Too trebbly or too muddy, too quiet also.

11. Thanks Bob. Yesterday I met a guy who uses Realist, and he says he is very happy with it. I have to try it out, and if it works well, it may be the best solution for me. I wouldn't need any major changes done to my bridge. The luthier will only need to trim my bridge a little to get lower action.

Take care,