Full parametric EQ onboard?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by i_got_a_mohawk, May 25, 2005.

1. I was just wondering the other day if anyone makes anything like this?
    I had an idea for jazz bass with 4 controls on the front panal, all of which would be stacked pots

Volume \ Volume
    Treble Shift \ Treble Level
    Mid Shift \ Mid Level
    Bass Shift \ Bass Level

Is this too outlandish and OTT or is it actually possible?

This is just for a possible future project. . .

Cheers guys
  2. More useful:

Volume \ Volume
    Treble \ Bass
    low Mid Shift \ low Mid Level
    High Mid Shift \ High Mid Level

But why? You can put this on your preamp. why on a bass? Why would you want to redefine mid frequencies while playing?
  3. Cus i have ALOT of spare time ?

Just curiosity more than anything
  4. EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    That's what Bongos have.

Treble and Bass frequency selectors aren't very useful. Especially since the specific frequencies are absolutely minimal when in a mix.

5. Tim__x

Aug 13, 2002
    Alberta, Canada
    It's do-able. Power consumption would be a bit of a problem.
    Technically that's semi or quasiparametric and not full parametric, full parametric gives you control over the Q, or width, of the filter.

P.S. switched semiparametric would bring the power consumption back down, I don't think anybody makes stack DT rotary switches though. On that subject I don't think anyone makes stack dual-gang pots which you would need unless you went with a gyrator based design (not my favorite).
  6. Oh well, you've completelly lost me there :p

It was just an idea i had after playing with the eq on my btb for the first time in a while, i can see where a low mid and high mid shift would be better than the bass and trebel shift tho
  7. Tim__x

Aug 13, 2002
    Alberta, Canada
    Okay, here's the non-tech version.

It's possible, but it might be hard to cram it all into four pot holes.
    There are a couple of manufacturers that make preamps with sweepable mids, the J-Retro U-Retro preamps come to mind. As far as I know no one makes an onboard three band parametric preamp.
  8. Ah right, yeah i thought about that actually, as i said tho, more curiosity than anything else, cheers :)
  9. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I think a 4 band EQ with dip switches to toggle between 2 different frequencies per control, where those two frequencies are controlled by trim pots inside the cavity .... would be pretty killer. I'd probabaly set mine for:

40hz (throb)/120hz (thick)
    200hz (boost for note definition)/500hz (cut for slap)
    800hz/1.2kHz (both for removing harshness)
    2khz (bitey)/4khz(sparkly)

Having frequency sweep controls on the bass would be too unrepeatable for my taste.
  10. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I can't see that being practical outside of the studio. So many ways to quickly screw up your sound live;)
  11. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Check out the Tyler spec'd Demeter preamp. It's now what you're asking about but it's an extremely versatile preamp. Demeter will sell you one as well.

Also, if you become serious about it than talk to Mike Pope. He'll steer you in the right direction and make you a preamp similar to what you're talking about, for a price.......

I personally never liked eq on my basses. I always boost the bass eq a notch and leave it alone forever. The Tyler preamp is the only one that really made me want to look for different sound in a preamp.
  12. basskid89

Dec 23, 2015
    Well, in some situations as we all know, our equipment does not "sound" the same venue to venue. So being able to sculpt the sound specific to what you need at the moment is sometimes very crucial. Not so much song to song, but venue to venue. I think it's a great idea to have a full parametric eq on board the bass pre amp.
  13. Clark Dark

Clark Dark

Mar 3, 2005
    This is what you're looking for, the Noll TCM 3P option B2043 which is a 4 knob platform. If you need 5 knobs then you get option B 2042 as seen here:
    TCM 3 P - Noll Electronic

The circuit has a volume/blend not volume/volume but I believe the blend is buffered. For clarity email Klaus Noll he's good with replying in a timely fashion and will answer all your questions.:cool:
    basskid89 likes this.
  14. basskid89

Dec 23, 2015
    This is very interesting indeed. I noticed the volume knob on the wiring all have push pull for passive active operation. If I install it, will I be required to do that? Or can I leave it just as a regular volume knob? I'll email Klaus about that. Overall, this is exactly what I was looking for to put on my ATK805e.
  15. JustForSport

Nov 17, 2011
    Just leave the knob 'in' all the time- you'll never notice the bypass. But, if in the future, you want it, it's avail.
    basskid89 likes this.
  16. VinnyIuspa

Nov 12, 2013
    North Jersey
    Bongos have low and hi mid boosts not shifts
    basskid89 likes this.