Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Funk Bass And Slap

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Masterbasser71, Jan 28, 2004.

1. Hey, I need help on getting the funky bass going. I already know well how to slap and pop and everything, but I need help on adjusting my Amp EQ and single tone knob on my bass. There's only one tone knob. Please specify what level certain frequencies should be on the EQ and where to position the knob. Thanks a lot.

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    The funk is in your fingers and on your strings, and dripping out of your nose. It's not in your frequencies.

3. Im gonna have to agree with robot here, it really is in the touch you have on the strings and the attack and blah and blah, but for amp stuff, what works for my ampeg is knobwise bass like at 2 o clock, mids at 11, and treble at 11 also, and then the eq is a wave, high at the bass, then droops down to the middle, the up in the mids again, then down agan, then up in the treble. For funk the last thing you want is tinny tone, but also you want every note to be clear, growly and punchy. This is what works for me, hope it helps.

4. Listen to some funk, you'll get the jippedy jive in your fingers and it will start making nose :)

5. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    i don't believe there are any standard EQ settings for funk. for slap many people cut the mids and add top end, fingerstyle i like to crank the mids. it really comes down to what works for you. i'd advise to play as much as you can, fiddle with as much as you can, and see what FEELS best to you. it takes time and experience, eventually the sounds you want evolve. the kind of bass you use has lots to do with sound too, but you can make any bass as funky as you want - it's gonna be YOUR funky sound though.

6. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Also remember, that two of the funkiest bassists ever, Mr. James Jamerson and Mr. Jaco Pastorius, never slapped a note. Don't forget Rocco Prestia either, I don't recall him ever slapping, and that boy was Fohnkay.