1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Funny Things My Mother Said About Gene Simmons

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Richland123, Nov 15, 2017.

1. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    My mother always comes up with saying unintentional funny things.

Yesterday, she was telling me that Gene Simmons was on a TV talk show. She said he was on TV with Kathie Lee and "Yoda". It's Kathie Lee and Hoda.

Then, she saw Sharon Osbourne on TV and said to me that Gene Simmons is married to Sharon Osbourne but he uses a different name.

2. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Alrighty then.....

3. Mine called any form of media a "tape" (CDs, game cartridges, etc.) up until I kept correcting her in 2010. That didn't go well.
    Still can't pronounce croissant, but 99.9% of North Americans pronounce karaoke incorrectly.

mikewalker and Big Shrek like this.
  4. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    It WOULD explain his abilities on bass.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

JRA likes this.
  5. FilterFunk

FilterFunk Everything is on the ONE! Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2010
    You mean to tell me I didn't just "tape" that show on that there DVR thingy?

47th Street likes this.
  6. OldDog52

OldDog52 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    My mom always referred to Col. Sanders (KFC) as Col. Frank. “Let’s get dinner from Col. Frank’s”.

”Tape” is still a very commonly used shorthand when referring to most any type of audio or video recording.

FilterFunk and 47th Street like this.
  7. tlc1976

tlc1976

Aug 2, 2016
    Michigan
    For years my mom would refer to a printer cartridge as a printer disk. Didn't matter how many times I told her.

In the mid 80s we were shopping at Sears for our first color TV. My dad kept insisting he wanted one with an "in-faired" remote. The salesman had no idea. Eventually my dad saw TV options printed and pointed to it, then the salesman understood. Infrared remote.

FilterFunk and Big Shrek like this.
  8. OldDog52

Jan 1, 2011
    Right after Apple introduced the Retina display, I was browsing at Best Buy and a customer asked the salesperson “Does this iPad have the new ruh-TEEN-uh display?” The look on the salesperson’s face was priceless because you could tell he was quickly running all his options through his head.

Do I subtly correct the customer by using the word “retina” correctly?

Should I follow his lead and pronounce it “ruh-TEEN-uh”?

Should I just ignore it?

He ended up saying only “Yes” without actually speaking the word.

Big Shrek likes this.
  9. D M C

D M C Oh good god, this again? Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2015
    North America, Earth
    On the threshold of a verge on the brink.
    My wife refers to both our router or cable modem as a “the server.”

“I think the server’s down.”

10. Once I knew a guy who referred to the servers as hubs. The sad part is he was kind of at a high level in the food chain.

Why is it parents like to randomly add "the" to things.

"We posted it for sale on the Craig's List & the FaceBook."

11. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

my mom used the term "thingy" for just about everything electronic/technical: "can't that be fixed if you replace the little thingy?"

our sweet, sweet mothers! :)

12. Far more fun to say "Karaoke" with a deep Southern Drawl :D

13. Today mine used "whatchamacallit".

"I could just use whatchamallit on it, couldn't I?"

Me: I have no idea, because I don't know which whatchamacallit :roflmao:

JRA likes this.
  14. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

exactly!

but i'm sure that either mother could make a firm distinction between whatchamacallits and thingies! two separate animals! :laugh:

47th Street and Killed_by_Death like this.
  15. OldDog52

Jan 1, 2011
    A very well-known US politician famously referred to his use of The Google. It’s almost a catch phrase now.

FilterFunk likes this.
  16. Oddly

Oddly Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    My parents still refer to any radio, or stereo/sound system as 'The Wireless'.

I prefer to say The Facebook, The Youtube and The Google too, mainly because it drives my son nuts...:D

mikewalker, OldDog52 and FilterFunk like this.
  17. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    I got a motorcycle license at 14 and a friend of mine (also 14) got his at the same time. One day not long after we became legal we rode out to his granny’s farm to visit with his grandparents. We were in the kitchen having some cookies with granny when gramps came in for lunch. He saw us and said he wondered what those two motorbikes were doing in the front yard and granny told him both of us had just got our Honda license. Neither bike was a Honda, but she had cookies and we got to have a big ham sandwich with Bucky’s gramps so we didn’t bother to correct her misconception.

mikewalker likes this.
  18. zontar

zontar

Feb 19, 2014
    J-5
    When I was in college we determined that thing & thingy were legitimate technical terms to use...

JRA likes this.
  19. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    I can't help myself, whenever I act as a recording engineer ( I'm not a recording engineer, but I play one on TV... ) I hit the transport button on the DAW and announce to the talent "Rolling!"...

zontar likes this.
  20. Oddly

Oddly Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    Completely off-topic, but I just watched a Dave Grohl documentary on Netflix called Sound City.
    It ends with his buying one of the last working Neve recording desks.