Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

FX + Beer = Wait X hours?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jondog, Aug 20, 2004.

1. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I love my Vbass, it honestly has cured my fx GAS. Last night, a full beer vibrated off a shelf and shattered against the top of the pedalboard. At first I thought it looked ok so I finished out 2 more songs then it started randomly switching patches etc. so I unplugged it and went direct for the rest of the gig. Yes, I know I should've turned it off right away, I'm stupid sometimes. I put it in front of a fan last night, and I'm about to vacuum the rest of the broken glass off it now. How long should I wait before plugging it in to see if it still works? I have another gig tomorrow night and need to know if I have to dust off my old fx. I'll cry if it's toasted, but I like it so much I'll pay the big bucks to have it fixed or even buy a new one if I have to.

2. Samurai

Samurai

Sep 13, 2003
    California
    With electronics that get wet you want to leave it off until you have no doubts it is totally dry. One extra concern though since it was beer, even though the water will evaporate, other stuff will be left behind which can cause problems, so a careful cleaning of any sticky areas would be a smart idea. Unfortunately this kind of thing is all luck, it might be totally broke or totally fine..

Beer, The Cause Of And Solution To All Of Life’s Problems

3. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    OK, I'll wait until tomorrow to try powering up. You're right about the sticky factor -- the tiny bits of glass were so stuck to the top I had to scrape them off w/ the vacuum. I'm afraid to open it up to try and clean the sticky beer gunk off of the innards, but I guess if it doesn't work right tomorrow I won't have much to lose...

4. If it has any issues I would say open it up and give the inside a good spray with contact cleaner, and again let that dry really well before plugging it in. I've had luck with this procedure with beer damage before, not only is a spilled beer alcohol abuse, but on gear it's musician abuse. :)
    Good Luck
    Dirk

5. Ba55Man1ac

Ba55Man1ac Gold Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Dudes, not sure if the contact cleaner is a good idea - it leaves a conductive oil behind. Crack it open and if there is sticky muck on the pcb, give it a wash with some metho or isopropyl and a toothbrush, then dry with an air compressor if you have one. I'm an electronics technician by trade and I also have a V-bass.

Good luck!

6. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    OK thanks. By isopropyl do you mean just regular rubbing alcohol or do I have to get denatured or some other kind?

Even though I haven't opened it up yet, I'm fairly certain there is gunk on the pcb (it was a full beer). If it happens to work in the morning, am I taking a big chance assuming it will continue to work without a thorough cleaning?

7. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Jon,
    Ba55Man1ac suggestion is what I would also say. A while ago, I spilled wine on an open discman. There were no batteries in it, so nothing shorted. Once it dried, my own electronics tech friend dipped it in isopropyl to clean the gunk off. It worked a charm.

8. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    It works! :hyper: All of the switches are sticky, but when I powered it up it went right back to the patch it was on before the beer impact.

This is the second time something like this has happened to me. The first time, a fan got pushed by her friends and she hit the railing, knocking my beer into my old pedal board, which has a tray-like bottom so the pedals were sitting in a pool . . . I unplugged it right away and went direct for the rest of the show. This second time I swear it was vibrations, I really don't think I could've knocked it off the shelf. Anyway, the moral to the story is that beer seems to affect my fx the same way it affects me -- too much and they go crazy for awhile and have to take the next day off to dry out, but eventually they're ok, if a bit sticky :) Drink placement is key - my guitarist bought me a mic stand mounted drink holder awhile back, but I lost it. I guess I'll have to buy another, or stop drinking beer (ha!).

9. Samurai

Samurai

Sep 13, 2003
    California
    CONGRADULATIONS! Nothing sucks more then having to re-buy gear you already had. But you gotta learn from two accidents, keep the beer a away from the pedals.

10. geeyza

geeyza

Apr 6, 2004
    boozer
    very lucky mate,niceone.my guitar player had an accident similar to your's,luckly the pedals survived but they got stolen from his car after couple of weeks,what a bad luck ey! take care

11. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    I can't say I've ever had this problem, but I do tend to pour only the best quality beer into my equipment. Time to upgrade both your gear as well as your taste buds. ;)

(Despite the humor, I certain do hope the V-Bass turns out fine)

12. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Thanks for the well-wishes everyone. It performed flawlessly last night! As for the beer quality, it was a Corona which in comparison is one of the better beers to feed your gear -- I can't imagine the gunk I would've got from a Guiness or something dark like that! :eek: Although maybe the Guiness molecules would be too big and thick to make it past the knobs and buttons to the pc board . . .