G&L JB

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MikeBass, Feb 19, 2010.

1. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Royal, Oak, MI.
    So, played one yesterday.
    Ash with maple. Passive.
    Glad it wasn't a color combo I liked (it was vintage natural with the vintage tint neck). I may have bought it!

MIA Fenders are an afterthought for me now. IMO it bested any of the one's I've played and gives any Metro a run for it's money.
    Slap a Sadowsky (or other) pre-amp in it and I think you may have one of the best Jazz Basses out there.
    The bass was flat out awesome.

It's on my "short list" of basses to own.

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I'm glad to hear a guy with alot of boutique experience give the G&L JB some love. My favorite local store has been stocking these for a year, and they are easily on par with boutique passive jazzes like Lulls. If G&L made these as fives, I would seriously have to buy one for myself.:bassist:

3. Z-Bass

Z-Bass

Apr 22, 2004
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I agree, these basses are on par with other makes on the market. About a year and a half ago, I stumbled across a used one. This was the first JB-2 (let alone G&L) I was able to demo. I thought it was very comfortable, played and sounded great. Wish I picked it up when I had the chance. I know G&L just came out with the more traditional jazz bass model but I like their JB-2 model. It's more original to their line, and I thought the body was very comfortable.

4. dpbass613

dpbass613

Feb 21, 2009
    i called them yesterday to ask if they would build a 5 string...no dice...but i put it in their heads that it might be worth thinking about....if everyone calls maybe they will add it to there line!!!

come on!!!

5. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Royal, Oak, MI.
    Yeah, if they made it in a 5 with 19mm string spaceing.....I may own a couple!
    I may stop and play it again.
    If it was triple black as I call it (black body, black pick guard, rosewood fingerboard) I would be telling you guys how it sounded on the gig last night!!!

6. Vinny D

Vinny D

Jan 9, 2007
    Warwick, RI
    This bass is on my *Got To Have* list.
    But with this rotten economy it may be on there for a while :bawl:

7. robb.

robb. Gold Supporting Member

i have been considering a JB-2. i don't like the traditional jazz body shape, but i do like the tone. i also like the fender pedigree of the JB-2. if i were to get a J-style bass, it'd be the JB-2.

robb.

8. yamaha

yamaha

Apr 7, 2006
    Montreal
    I like the JB-2 (and own one) but I LOVE THE JB. On my short list too.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 2, 2021