1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

G&L L1000 - Low Output

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mcnaughb, Nov 22, 2017.

1. mcnaughb

mcnaughb

Apr 27, 2012
    Hi,

I recently picked up an early G&L L1000 exactly like I had some 30 some years ago. The pickup output seems low to me. The parallel seems ok, but the two single coil modes seem significantly lower than the parallel mode.

Attached is a clip of all three modes in order parallel, single & OMG.

Wiring appears to be untouched.

Any thoughts? Am I misremembering?

Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

In descending order of volume/output:

Series (OMG?)
    Parallel
    Single coil

So, that doesn't surprise me.

3. Doctor J

Doctor J

Dec 23, 2005
    Two single coil modes doesn't sound right. Get a screwdriver or something metal and tap the polepieces as you go from one switch position to the next.

With the switch pointed to the neck you should get a sound from both coils as you tap.
    In the middle, only the coil closest to the bridge should be active.
    With the switch pointed at the bridge, both coils should be active with a defined lack of treble on the coil closest to the neck.

Don't forget, the controls are cut only. With everything turned up full, that's your real output.

4. mcnaughb

mcnaughb

Apr 27, 2012
    hmm...maybe it doesn't come across in the recording, but Parallel is loudest by far, then OMG, then single.

5. mcnaughb

mcnaughb

Apr 27, 2012
    With the switch pointed to the neck you should get a sound from both coils as you tap. >> Confirmed but seems like front coil is hotter
    In the middle, only the coil closest to the bridge should be active. >> Confirmed
    With the switch pointed at the bridge, both coils should be active with a defined lack of treble on the coil closest to the neck. >> Confirmed, but both seem similar. I wouldn't say there is a significant difference.

6. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

Is your amp set flat?

If you've got a brightness control on, the parallel mode might sound like it's got higher output.

7. mcnaughb

mcnaughb

Apr 27, 2012
    Its definitely set flat. I think I may have a weak coil.

One other symptom is in the single or OMG mode, if I turn down both tone controls I have zero output. In Parallel mode I still have something with both tone controls down.

8. bdgotoh

bdgotoh Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Pacific NW
    In OMG mode the 2 coils should be roughly equal loudness when you tap on them but one should have all the highs drained out.

Does your volume control work normally with the treble cut knob both full up and with treble rolled off 1/4 or more? The volume dropping off too quickly when the treble is rolled off is a common wiring error.

9. mcnaughb

mcnaughb

Apr 27, 2012
    I would say I get maybe 1/4 turn out of the volume with the treble down. Less than I would expect.

10. bdgotoh

bdgotoh Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Pacific NW
  11. mcnaughb

mcnaughb

Apr 27, 2012
    Mine is definitely missing R1, which is the resistor on the treble pot. All other connections look correct to me. Looks like factory wiring though. Do you know if there were alternate wiring options?

Thanks.

upload_2017-11-22_18-3-24.png

upload_2017-11-22_18-5-46.png

12. lakefx

lakefx

Sep 14, 2012
    Eugene
    R1 limits the range of the treble control so it doesn't roll all the way off. That shouldn't affect volume. Maybe check the solder joints for the coil with lower output. It could be that simple.

13. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    my l2k has a volume drop from series to parallel, sorry i couldn't be more helpful

14. mcnaughb

mcnaughb

Apr 27, 2012
    That is what I would expect.

I'll resolder the joints as suggested above.

Thanks.

mpdd likes this.
  15. mcnaughb

mcnaughb

Apr 27, 2012
    Well...no luck. Still low on the output. More sleuthing is in order.

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 13, 2021