Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

G&L neck stability?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by scott_barrett, Feb 8, 2004.

1. Hello all...

I just picked up a G&L L-5500 that has been an absolute dream to play. However, it seems to drop it's tuning very quickly. Has anyone noticed these necks to be unstable? With the baseball bat size of the neck I would assume it wouldn't move that much. I am unsure of the strings that are on it, and will replace tomorrow, but I'm worried that this bass has some type of neck/tuner problem. BTW, the weather turned very cold here in Florida last night, and hasn't been like this in a while. I did have to transport from home to church and back, but even just hanging in the stand, it seems to loose it's tuning. The neck is straight as can be, with just enough relief to meet specs and had a thorough setup done before I received it.

Any thoughts are appreciated!

Scott
    Scott@BarrettZone.com

2. Only time I ever have encountered a problem stability wise with the tuning on my G&L's is when I perform stupid stunts involving one. The only things I could think of causing a slip in the tuning that isn't major is said climate change, old or improperly installed strings, the neck not being affixed to the body tight enough, or the screws on the back of the tuners not gripping deep enough into the tuner post.

3. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Where in FL are you located?

Anyways, my G&L L-2500 has never had a problem with neck stability and Ive owned it for about 3 years.

Peace
    Nick

4. I am just north of Tampa in Land O Lakes....after retuning and putting it back on the stand I checked it an hour later, and only the A string was slightly out. That's the string that went bad on my in church that morning. I think I need some new strings! I retuned and put it in the case overnight, and in the morning, still in tune, but the A string was a little out again....I think that may be it!

Thanks!
    Scott

5. I have a L2000, L5500, L2500 and a few other G&L's,.....

No problems with any of them,...

6. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Im dying to try a 5500.

Can you guys give me any info on them?

Peace
    Nick

7. They have a great deep, round tone on the front pickup and a very punch music-man on the back. Nice warmth, and brilliant highs. The neck may seem thick at first, but it is actually quite easy to play and I have small hands. Mine has EMG's so the tonality is very modern sounding. You can get some incredible slap sounds out of this with just a crank of the treble knob. I would definitely try one if you can!

Scott

8. I agree with scott,....

I read on another forum that if you take it from 9volt to 18volt that it gets better,....

The person found the info on EMG, EMG did suggest to upgrade for the system in the 5500,....

I still have not had time to change it yet though.

9. My L2000 has been thru the wringer and stays in tune great. That bass takes all the abuse I can give it. I took that bass on a cross country flight, I watched them THROW it into the cargo hold, when I took it out of the case it was perfectly in tune.

10. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    you may want to tighten the screw on the back of the tuner.