1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

G&L Tribute JB-2

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BulbousMoses, Oct 30, 2010.

1. Thinking of getting one of these as a step up from a Squier Jazz. Who has one of these and what is you experience with it good, bad and ugly.

2. Bump...seriously...no one here has one of these or has had one in the past?

3. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Evansville
    I've been intrigued by these myself.

I know they have a 12" neck radius , which is flatter than most fenders .

4. i've not played this one specifically, but i have played the american made g&l jb and thought it was one of the best " Jazz " basses i've ever played. that being said. i have played some of the other g&l tribute basses and found them to be great players, sound and feel wise and worth the money. i cannot see how this bass couldn't be better than a squire. mexican or probably quite a few american fender jazz basses. IMHO.

5. Maj. Lee FUBAR

Maj. Lee FUBAR Supporting Member

They are an amazing bass for the money. Warm sounding and a very nice neck. I had the natural colored one which is swamp ash (as opposed to basswood for the painted ones), but I would think both would be good. I'd say go for it!

6. thereby addressing the #1 issue with fender basses

7. I haven't tried one yet as we only have one dealer in town and I have to find some time to get out there and see what they have. I'd like to try both the Tribute JB-2 and SB-2 and see which one I like better.

8. velalv

velalv Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2010
    Woodbridge, VA
    I loved the SB-2 for its own tone, but when I picked it up, I thouhght I was getting a p-bass. I was wrong. I think the SB-2 sounded like it was active, I know it is not, but my point here is that the pickups are very, very hot. I did not get that classic p-bass thump that I thought I was going to get. (I would like to get a p-bass or pbass sounding like instrument, any suggestions?) Also, you have to have your technique down to an art form. I felt that the sb-2 was unforgiving if you made any technical misktakes.

9. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    I have a USA JB-2, best "Fender" bass I ever owned. I can't imagine the Tribute JB-2 to not be a great bass for the money, especially, compared to other off shore basses.

10. I've never played a G&L that had a thin enough neck for me to even consider it. Both the JB's and SB's are really round and fat front to back. They may have the 1 1/2 in. nut width but they feel huge to me.

11. I'm going to try the JB-2. It has a swamp ash body, which is pretty impressive for a bass in this price range. I watched a couple of YouTube videos and it sounds nice but the proof will be when I test drive it myself..

12. Jeff Scott

Apr 11, 2006
    Not mine. :)

13. Makatak

Makatak

Apr 13, 2002
    New Zealand
    I like J Bass necks and yes I did think the depth profile was a bit much on my JB-2, but now im used to it, its great, also a nice feeling having a narrow nut width but with the brute strength of a deep set neck and 6 Bolt anchorage, this thing wouldn't go out of tune if a Steam Roller went over it, unlike a Mexi Jazz Bass I picked up the other day, bent like a Banana and run out of trussrod adjustment, a problem I suspect you`ll never get with the G&L .

14. Jeff Scott

Apr 11, 2006
    G&L uses far superior truss rods. :cool: