1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

G&L tribute l2000 anyone

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LCW, Apr 22, 2009.

1. LCW

LCW Banned

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!
    whats your take on these 700$ new look nice but i have never played one and may not have a chance were i live.

i am looking fo a humbucking dual pickup bass this seems most affordable i would go with a used one for 400-500$

i just want to know who has one ? and are they happy with it?

I am playing a MIM p bass with a gotoh 201 and bassline 1/4 pounders but its not the sound i am after the neck pockets pretty sloppy and its just not my tone i can flip it for more than i paid and the G&L just looks like everything i want

sorry for the long winded story;)

2. iggy-slap

iggy-slap

Nov 27, 2008
    i had a g&l l-2000 tribute and i can say its one of the best basses i played (and i tested a lot of them)!!!
    i sold it because i couldn't adjust myself to the p-neck, i prefer jazz necks! but when i have the money i will buy an American g&l l-2000 with a jazz neck ;)

3. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    I've had one of these for about 14 months. As with lots of basses, I'm disappointed to see the price so much higher than it was a year ago. However, this bass is worth $700.

Pros:
    * The "fit and finish" are pretty good. If you look hard enough, you can find a couple things wrong, but this is probably true with any production instrument.
    * Nice neck. The action on mine can easily drop far lower than I care for it to be.
    * G&L pickups and electronics make for a very versatile bass. Much has been written here about this. Lots of good sounds here.
    * An active bass with attention paid to the passive settings. Passive isn't an afterthought on this bass. It is very usable - the bass and treble controls are passive, so they still work if the preamp is off.
    * Comes with a good quality gig bag

Cons:
    * The plastic dot inlays look a little bit cheap.
    * Its a big neck. 1.75" at the nut with a generous neck profile. If you are looking for a jazz bass, this is not the neck for you. If you like a big fat P bass neck, this may be your thing.
    * 12" fingerboard radius. For a neck sized like a big vintage precision neck, the almost flat radius feels a little odd to me. Of course, you might find this a plus
    * Mine is a little heavy. This probably varies from bass to bass.
    * The battery is in the control cavity instead of in a battery compartment. The control cover fits so tightly that it is VERY difficult to remove. I added a little tab made of electrical tape so I can pull the cover off.

4. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Ocoee, TN
    Best bass for your buck in that price range (and a bit higher as well).

I had a Tribute L2500 and a Tribute SB-2 and loved them both.

Lots of love for these basses here. A search should yield plenty of info. Also check out the G&L forum here on TB.

5. LCW

LCW Banned

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!
    Thanks guys for the info;) sounds like my kinda bass. I think i am done growing im 19 and am not to big just 5 11 and my hands are kinda smaller but i perfer P bass necks for some reason. They dont bother me and i can move plenty fast, jazz necks kinda throw me off so i like that it has P style . Heavy is actaully a factor i dont mind maybe cuz im young:p or my gigs are only an hour or two. The price is affordable for me and i like the dual pickups . i love p basses but mine is a 1 tone kinda bass.

I did check out the g&l forum good stuff

I just wish i could play one in person

6. LCW

LCW Banned

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!
    oh btw if you have one let me know if your considering getting rid of it

7. I've had mine since 03 or 04. It was $520 then and worth every penny. At $700, I'd still be looking at one. My opinion is pretty much summed up in wvbass' post.

Mike

8. I had one- A Trib L2000 & I didn't like it at ALL!!! Sure it was versatile, but I couldn't find ONE sound in it I liked. I guess it just wasn't 4 me. Couldn't fault the build quality etc... superbly built & felt nice too, But I didn't like it at ALL. I got a Warwick $$ now, which IMO is similar( with the dual HB's & switching options etc, ) but to me at least- the $$ sounds SUPERB in ALL it's versatile options.

Just MY 2c

9. Bassman822

Bassman822

Sep 1, 2007
    Bessemer, AL
    Weight varies a bit on the US L2Ks. My $300 82 (natural ash/ rosewood fb) weighs in at almost 11 lbs. And no, its not for sale

10. Bone

Bone

Oct 28, 2006
    I played a very nice used one the other day. You have a PM.

11. I've had a L-2000 Tribute for over 4 years as my first main bass! I havent had any problems with it and till this day its still one of the best sounding basses and the price makes it even better! wvbass pretty much summed it all up, but I would say go with it I'm 99.99% sure you wont be disappointed! Great bang for your buck :)