Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

G&L2500 with 4+1 headstock

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jcburn, May 3, 2005.

1. Does anyone have any opinions on these basses.Anyone own one?Pics and/or opinions?They look like a P on steroids but I like the 4+1 headstock better than the 3+2.
    Thanks,
    Jake.

2. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Yeah i allways liked the 4 +1 headstock better, i have heard people say the 3 +2 are lighter in weight do to the bass wood.

3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Yep, the 4+1 is much heavier...larger body and all ash. That's why chiropractors love 'em :D

4. Cool - sounds exactly like what Im after.(Cue sinister laugh) I must have one!!!Going straight to wanted to buy section.
    Thanks guys.

5. +oM

+oM

Mar 14, 2005
    Never thought I'd be doing this, but I'm putting my L-5500 up for sale. Swamp ash body in honeyburst, rosewood board, EMG dual soapbars, weighs over ten pounds, and has major tonal oomph. Best of all, 4 plus 1 tuners on headstock!

Played this thing as my main bass for over ten years. More recently, got bit by the headless bug, and that's all I'm using now.

This G&L is in excellent condition, and quite beautiful to behold. Asking $775.00.

Peace ............... +oM

6. hope you get over that man, those things can be dangerous, just take lots of antibiotics, should grow back any day now (Y)

:smug:

7. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

It is possible to get light weight Swamp Ash i wonder G&L didint do that and went to bass wood where they have to do the extra work of using and ash laminante for the top on trans finishes.

8. For me, I prefer the sound of the lighter wood. My L-2500 is an early 2nd generation - one of the first 3+2 headstocks with the lighter, laminated body. I always prefered the tone of it compared to my old solid ash L-2000. I eventually traded the ash L-2000 (for a Legacy guitar), since I MUCH prefered the sound of the lighter laminated body.

I've owned several G&L's and my favourites have been the ones that weren't solid ash.