G&L2500 with 4+1 headstock

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jcburn, May 3, 2005.

1. Does anyone have any opinions on these basses.Anyone own one?Pics and/or opinions?They look like a P on steroids but I like the 4+1 headstock better than the 3+2.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Yeah i allways liked the 4 +1 headstock better, i have heard people say the 3 +2 are lighter in weight do to the bass wood.
  3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Yep, the 4+1 is much heavier...larger body and all ash. That's why chiropractors love 'em :D
  4. Cool - sounds exactly like what Im after.(Cue sinister laugh) I must have one!!!Going straight to wanted to buy section.
    Thanks guys.
  5. +oM

Mar 14, 2005
    Never thought I'd be doing this, but I'm putting my L-5500 up for sale. Swamp ash body in honeyburst, rosewood board, EMG dual soapbars, weighs over ten pounds, and has major tonal oomph. Best of all, 4 plus 1 tuners on headstock!

Played this thing as my main bass for over ten years. More recently, got bit by the headless bug, and that's all I'm using now.

This G&L is in excellent condition, and quite beautiful to behold. Asking $775.00.

Peace ............... +oM
  6. hope you get over that man, those things can be dangerous, just take lots of antibiotics, should grow back any day now (Y)

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

It is possible to get light weight Swamp Ash i wonder G&L didint do that and went to bass wood where they have to do the extra work of using and ash laminante for the top on trans finishes.
  8. For me, I prefer the sound of the lighter wood. My L-2500 is an early 2nd generation - one of the first 3+2 headstocks with the lighter, laminated body. I always prefered the tone of it compared to my old solid ash L-2000. I eventually traded the ash L-2000 (for a Legacy guitar), since I MUCH prefered the sound of the lighter laminated body.

I've owned several G&L's and my favourites have been the ones that weren't solid ash.