1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

G****r through a bass amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jackn1202, Nov 30, 2018.

1. jackn1202

jackn1202

Feb 14, 2018
    Austin, TX
    Will running a guitar trough a bass combo amp harm the amp? I know running a bass into a guitar amp will tear up the speakers, but I was wondering if it was as damaging the other way around. I know people been doing this for decades (I got the idea from Kyuss but I’m sure it was done beforehand- the Fender Bassman amp comes to mind), but I’m wondering if maybe this was done by people who could afford another bass amp if theirs crapped out. I couldn’t afford one.

If it changes anything, I’m running a Tele copy through a fuzz pedal and octaver into an older model Ampeg BA-115 solid state combo.

2. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    No.

3. Axstar

Axstar

Jul 8, 2016
    East of Eden.
    It can be done, but if you've played guitar into a decent amp then the results can be underwhelming. I've plugged my Telecaster into a couple of bass amps, and always found the same thing. Even if you EQ the amp to be bright, and roll off the bass a bit, the results are still dull. If the amp has a tweeter then the results are dull with fizzy on the top. Plus, solid state bass amps don't have the dynamic range or sensitivity of a tube amp. You dig in, or hit a pinch harmonic, and nothing happens from the amp that is especially musical.

It won't hurt the amp, however.

zon6c-f, Stumbo and cmcbass like this.
  4. cmcbass

cmcbass

Jan 4, 2018
    Minneapolis
    I play my guitars through my rumble 25 all the time. Guitar speakers aren't typically designed to handle the low frequencies of a bass. Bass speakers can easily handle anything a guitar will throw at them. The voicing of bass speakers may not be to your liking when playing guitar through them though.

Stumbo and BassmanPaul like this.
  5. AboutSweetSue

AboutSweetSue

Sep 29, 2018
    Lebanon, TN
    I used to play my bass through my brothers Peavey guitar amp at high levels. That was twelve years ago and his amp is still running with zero issues. I’ve run acoustic guitar through bass amps with zero issue as well.

I believe the Peavey was a classic 50, and I actually wouldn’t mind getting one for cheap to use for bass. Kinda had a cool sound.

6. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    I used to play guitar through my Fender Bassman head six nights a week, four hours per night. Awesome guitar rig. The cab had two EV SRO 12" guitar speakers. These days I sometimes play guitar through one of my bass amps and cabs just for fun. It won't hurt them.

zon6c-f likes this.
  7. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    Should be fine for the most part.
    Then again I see a lot of guitar players playing through bass combos for" more bass"

When they don't realize how much deeper and more bass you get from a well equipped 4x12 with the right drivers.

Such as 55hz G12s or EV12L and even at that just plain Jane V30s

Not a "X" pattern of mismatched drivers....all the same dam drivers in a straight front Marshall Cab

8. dagrev

dagrev Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2006
    Kentucky
    Not the same amp you mentioned i know. Don't use it that often for guitar, but my strat sounds pretty good through my Ampeg B4V and 212. Impressively good in fact.

9. ExGinger

ExGinger

May 30, 2015
    I use my Trace Elf and 1x10 (with a reverb pedal) for g****r gigs and rehearsals all the time. Jazz. So I like the clean.

10. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    One of the most glorious acoustic guitar tones I ever heard was my brother playing his old Yamaha classical with a pickup through my SWR SuperRedhead 2-10 combo. It sounded way better with that acoustic than it ever did with any bass I played through it. Kinda "blah" for bass.

11. Once the apocalypse happens, the only things left on earth will be Twinkies, cockroaches, and Peavey amps..
    :roflmao:

Had a little transition to guitar years back, and scored a used classic 30 for pretty cheap. Sturdy, loud, and pretty good for an "entry level" tube amp!

12. lfmn16

lfmn16 SUSPENDED Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    No, if you know where the volume knob is and use your ears, you can do it. I've done it for 45+ years and have never blown a speaker in a guitar amp while playing bass through it.

13. el jeffe bass

el jeffe bass

Nov 22, 2013
    New Mexico
    I use bass amps for acoustic guitar a lot, it works very well. I have also used my Rumble 100 as a powered PA(ish) speaker. I run a vocal mic, a porch board and acoustic guitar into a behringer mixing board then out to the amp. Pretty lowbrow setup but it works

14. amper

amper

Dec 4, 2002
    US
    I use my Mesa Walkabout Scout 12 combo with my Mesa F-50 combo stacked on top of it. The combination together sounds like DOOM. I'm currently running both amps as clean pedal platforms and getting my overdrive entirely from pedals: tc electronic Spark booster, tc electronic MojoMojo overdrive, Catalinbread Formula 5F6 foundation overdrive, and One Control Honey Bee overdrive. My Walkabout Scout combo cab can handle 300 W of power, far more than the 70 W rating of the Celestion Vintage 30 driver in my F-50.

I even use a Digitech FreqOut feedback generator. My Walkabout doesn't even break a sweat.

15. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I played my 335 through the V4B - louder than all hell but sounded awesome!

16. You may have to add outboard Reverb

17. I'm pretty sure I read that Kyuss and Queens of the Stone Age were known for doing this. I could be wrong.

jackn1202 likes this.
  18. jackn1202

jackn1202

Feb 14, 2018
    Austin, TX
    Nah, you right. Queens is my favorite band and Kyuss is on that list, that's where I got the idea. Josh Homme used Ampeg bass amps and cabs in Kyuss. I love that sound, just not 100% sure it wouldn't damage my amp. Now I know it won't! Thanks for the replies everybody.

Spectrum likes this.