Gage Czech-Ease Half-A-Bass

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by zigaboo, Jun 23, 2004.

1. Anybody tried the new Gage czech-ease?
  2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    They sound how they look acoustically, but that isn't the way they're meant to be played. I liked the Alter Ego EUB a lot better.
  3. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    Played how? :confused: So it sounds ugly? Well it's ugly to me!

Seems like the bass kinda got castrated (ooo is that allowed here?). ahahah.
  4. thanks, ray.
    unfortunately i cannot seem to open the alter ego's website. i have found these that for some reason look inetersting to me:
    gelbass eminence, rossco's easy travel double bass (australian), goldtone club bass, also azola acoustic baby bass and eurocoustic baby bass. also, i wonder if ray ramirez basses are "only" suitable for the latin tinge?

have you, ray, or anybody else had any experience with the above mentioned?

thank you,
  5. ad9000

ad9000 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2004
    Leucadia, CA
    In addition to the basses you mentioned, how 'bout the Azola Bug Bass (and its upscale variations)? I played one at the NAMM show a few years ago and thought it was the "woodiest' sounding EUB I'd played. at the time I was struggling with my not too sadly departed Carruthers EUB and thought the Bug Bass was much a better axe overall, and fairly easy to travel with. The Azola Baby Bass was pretty cool but more of a specialized axe in the vein of the original Ampegs. I've played the Ray Ramirez basses too and my impression is that they are well made and a good alternative to hunting down an original Baby. The baby bass sound has become so standardized in Afro-Cuban derived music that it is easy to think of Baby-style axes as being used almost exclusively for that type of playing, but that doesn't mean they can't be used in another way.
  6. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I haven't been around those mentioned. The thing about the Alter Ego that attracts me initially is that the neck/string/bridge/tailpiece thing are familiar. It plays like the real thing as well, although the width of the fingerboard is more like a 5/8 almost, with whatever string length you want. If I had the money in my pocket I wouldn't have the money in my pocket...
  7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I saw Michael Formanek playing one of these recently at my local Jazz club in a trio setting and the bass sounded fantastic - equally as good as any full-size basses I had seen there. He was playing it through one of the small GK combos, but I was sitting a few feet from the stage and it sounded very "acoustic".

He played some very interesting solos where he used the acoustic nature of the instrument - percussive effects from the body, 'col legno' bowing and using the bow above the bridge etc. - it all worked and was very clear.

A lot of people in the audience were really impressed with the sound - but most people I talked to, were saying things like - where's the other half of that bass? ;)

I wasn't entirely surprised as I have seen Dave Holland a few times recently and his bass seemed very small to me, although I loved his sound - but his bass wasn't that much bigger !! ;)
  8. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I played one of these in New York - and saw Lynn Seaton play one with a small group and big band. It sounded great - strikingly similar to his own bass.
  9. SamFinlay

Apr 23, 2004
    David Gage String Instruments
    I don't mean to seem like Big Brother, but I try to keep an eye on what is said in forums like these. Your comments on the Czech-Ease are very helpful and make me feel like our instrument is being received like we've intended it to be.

If anyone would like more information about the Czech-Ease or other basses we sell here like the Alter Ego, Eminence Bass and NS Bass, give us call. Also keep in mind that we have a large collection of consigned travel instruments. Those instruments tend to be VERY modestly priced.

Sorry about the little ad. I couldn't resist.

-Sam Finlay
    David Gage String Instrument Repair, Inc.
  10. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Did you ever get a price on the Alter Ego? I'm really curious what those go for.
  11. thanks, guys, your responses and comments are valuable to me. and i'm glad that it all looks like it is an interestng topic for others, too.
    for those interested, the ross anderson's travel bass (melbourne, australia) sells for 6000AUD, which roughly equals 4500USD. for this you get the 'package': the bass, padded bag, thomastiks, the realist, and a hard case. weighin in at about 50 pounds. all this (and the photos) looks quite a bit like tha czech-ease.
  12. Don't care if I get fried for my comments but I sincerely think that Czeck ease db is the ugliest bass I have ever seen, can not imagine forking out a buck for it! I had a go at one couple of weeks ago and it had a decent sound so I can't knock that but the look!! Forget it!