Gaining hand strength is so satisfying

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Usidore T Blue, Dec 19, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Usidore T Blue

Usidore T Blue

Jun 28, 2017
    I seriously am getting a weight-lifting kind of satisfaction out of my fretting hand gaining strength and agility with practice. I know some people need to start playing tunes right away to stay interested, or so many teachers think, but if I just zen out, playing varying patterns up and down the neck and hearing the notes get fuller and richer as my fingers gain independence is quite satisfying in itself.

Odd also--mistakes or variations sometimes reveal techniques to me, rhythm patterns and such. Tired fingers will accidentally do a cool hammer-on pattern or legato or whatever. I can grab that mistake, repeat it 100 times and its mine whenever I want it.

Programmers talk about a larval stage, a period of intense single-minded activity that, once passed through, will produce a programmer. I think this is somewhat the same. Am I making any sense?

Geri O likes this.
  2. sean_on_bass

sean_on_bass

Dec 29, 2005
    USA
    If you really wanna get your left hand into shape, consider picking up the upright bass. After playing upright for a few years, when i pick up an electric i feel like i can crush the neck with my hand strength.

As for your other points, i totally hear what you're sayin!

Usidore T Blue likes this.
  3. sleepyme666

sleepyme666

Dec 1, 2017
    I just started out playing bass a few weeks ago and I tried learning songs right away. I realized that although it's fun to try to learn songs, building up agility is more important to me right now. It may not be as fun at the moment but I know it will pay off more in the future.

4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Reviewer: Bass Player Magazine
    It sounds like you’re gaining endurance, not strength, which is much more important than strength. Unless you intend to use high action, very little strength is needed for playing electric bass, making most of the hand strengthening tools and toys by and large unnecessary. Your pinky usually needs some work early on, but that’s about it.

Then again, I wasn’t brought into existence by a conspiracy of birds and wind and fire, so your situation may be different.

5. Usidore T Blue

Usidore T Blue

Jun 28, 2017
    The experiment with the soup set me back a bit.

Bryan R. Tyler likes this.