1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gallien-Krueger 1001RB-II

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jonnytick333, Oct 31, 2010.

1. jonnytick333

jonnytick333

Oct 31, 2010
    Opinions on this amp, any problems, or what cabs you play it through, etc. Just anything about this amp, good/bad, etc. Weighin' my options for a new amp right now, and want input!

thank youz :)

2. jdlwareagle

jdlwareagle

Nov 13, 2005
    Mobile , AL
    I use mine to power 2 Euphonic Audio VL210B cabs . Great sound , enough power for large stages , reliable , can usually be found on the used market for good price .

3. dave120

dave120

Jun 27, 2005
    Central Florida
    I've had mine for several years now without any problems. It can run 2 4x10 cabs no problem and gets louder than I'll ever need it to. Sounds great! I got it from a place called RMC Audio I think. Cost me $500 shipped, brand new.

4. IbanezBass69

IbanezBass69

Jul 14, 2010
    Minnesota
    I have played through one, and loved it! Made some off-brand crap 4x10 with blown speakers sound like gold! (OK, not really, it was still pretty bad, but it had blown speakers, no amp will fix that.) I would recommend it.

5. woodsideh

woodsideh

Feb 19, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Bottom line....

I have owned and used several Ampeg, SWR, Fender, Mark Bass & even Peavey, Kustom & Sunn in the old days. I now have 3 GK heads and I will fight you for them. They are best amps that I have ever used.

6. jonnytick333

jonnytick333

Oct 31, 2010
    thanks guys, i've always known GK to have reliable, good-all-around equipment, so thanks for further backing that reputation. I'd want to power an 8x10, 2 4x10s, or a 4x10/1x15 setup....any suggestions for cab cominations to look into? it seems all the ones i look at end up giving me a 2.67 ohm load....so an 8ohm 1x15 and an 8ohm 4x10 are ideally what i want...thanks again for the input!
    -jt

7. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Nothing GK will do below 4 ohms. Two of them will though...

I have never needed that kind of volume, but 2 4x10s is a good modular way to go.
    Wes

8. jonnytick333

jonnytick333

Oct 31, 2010
    i play with a VERY loud drummer and guitarist playin' an 8-string, so i get lost if i'm not really loud, haha.

9. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Get a couple of 8-ohm GK NEO cabs to match. My recommendation: (2) GK NEO 212-II cabs.

Lest ye have any doubt, I promise you: that rig will rule! :bassist:

MM

10. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    I have a 700rb-II, and play in a loud 2 guitar(half stacks) band - IME, cabs that work well - and get loud - with these heads are:

Mesa's PH610, PH810, PH412, and PH215

SWR's Goliath Sr and Megoliath

Ampeg's SVT810e

Any one of those cabs will get you where you want to be, IMO... You picked a great amp - my other amp is a Mesa BB750, and I'll still always keep my G-K...

- georgestrings

11. Mola Ram

Mola Ram

Jan 18, 2010
    Chicago
    The only thing I would recommend is to make sure you really need all of that power. A 700RB is extremely similar to the 1001RB and less expensive.

Maybe you're playing way larger venues that myself, which is possible, but I can't imagine ever needing more than what the 700 gives and I've never been in danger of maxing it out.

12. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

Agreed 100% - I actually prefer the 700rb-II, as IMO it gets warmer at volumes that are more useable for my gigging needs... I've played huge outdoor shows, and never reached half volume with my 700rb-II...

- georgestrings

13. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings

Dec 12, 2006
    NY & MA
    GK amps "hit the rails" at a certain volume level, and that volume level is easier to get to with a RB700 than a RB1000. Or put another way, you don't have to be as loud with a 700 as you would with a 1000. If you're doing really large venues and outdoors type of events, fine.... but if you're doing a bar/club/restaurant type of thing you should at least consider the 700. As far a reliability goes, I've had my RB700 for several years, gets turned on every day, has a lot of gigs on it, and I think it's just a rock solid, bullet proof amp that can give me pretty much anything I ask of it. Loud as heck to.

14. All I can say is that my 1001rb-II is superb amp. I run it through two Gk rbh115 cabinets and they sound awesome. I have also run it with Neo 212 and they are both good. Reliability is good and it feels like they have made like tanks but never say never. Everything can blow up. But I think GK stays up longest. ;)

15. sleepytime

sleepytime

Nov 10, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    The 1001rb-II sounds thunderous with the GK 410RBH cabs, but not many people seem to use those.

16. MingusBass

MingusBass Commercial User

Sep 27, 2004
    Fort Wayne,Indiana
    I know that both amps are great, but I'm currently trying to decide if I should go with a 1001RB-II or an 800RB. The place I work recently became a GK dealer, so I can get them both at around the same price. I would be driving a Bergantino NV610 cab for most gigs.

I mostly use 5 strings.

17. cusar5

cusar5

Feb 17, 2008
    I've been using a 1001 for a while now, and while I like some things about it, I find I dislike enough things about it that I won't be keeping it much longer. The main problem I have is the overdriven sound- to my ear the wrong frequencies are being distorted, and the sonic result is distinctly unpleasant. The culprit is the "volume" knob, which actually controls gain, so I leave it just barely on and use the master volume to control my overall level. The "boost" knob adds just a little bit of grit and "wool" that I find pleasant, and it never really strays into "drive" territory so I leave it all the way up.

I had a major issue with mine that required the replacement of the entire power section, but I got a loaner 700 from Long and Mcquade until mine was fixed so no complaints there. I found the 700 and 1001 sounded very similar, and like other folks here I never find I need all the power the 1001 has to offer.

I have played older 800RBs that I liked a lot better. Their overdriven sound is much warmer and more musical than the 1001/700 IMO.

18. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Western NY

Not true. 2001RB and Fusion 1050 in stereo will. 800RB will do 4 on one power amp and 8 on the other.

19. BassMonstrum

BassMonstrum

Mar 7, 2008
    Mine has died on me... twice!

First time I was told that a fuse blew out, while the second time it just got overheated! "It's like driving a car... you're bound to get a flat tire someday!" was the answer I got.

Other than that it's loud and clean! Use it with a Mesa Boogie Roadready 1000 cab or a GK NEO212. However, I do use a Sansamp BDDI in front of it, because I like the sound of it. Just bought a GK mb500 which will be feeding the Mesa-cab, while the 1001 will be feeding the NEO212 plus effects... or maybe the other way around.

20. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Haven't played a GK in a very long time but understand that the aggressive, slighly distorted tone is what makes them desireable to many.

How does the RB1001 do as a warm, clean sounding amp?