garageband users?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by discoboo, Apr 15, 2005.

1. discoboo

Dec 25, 2002
    charleston, sc
    i got a mac laptop with garageband. any opinions on it? should i work with it or is is crap? what say you, TB?!
  2. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    I've been using GB ever since it came out. I absolutely LOVE it. It's great for demos of songs before I can bring them to the band. Also works well for "gift" recordings (I covered "Wonderful Tonight" for my g/f's birthday and Valentine's Day since they were back to back days). The drum loops are great. Though if you've got some money to spend, I highly recomend picking up at least one of the Drums On Demand drum loops collections. Makes it sound INFINITELY better. At least for the rock situations I use it with. Also check out getting a USB MIDI controller if you plan on using the software instruments at all. I don't really use 'em that often, but they're pretty cool to play around with.

Go to They've got all sorts of stuff to get you going with GB.
  3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I've been using it since they day it came out. I couldn't imagine a computer without it. It's become part of my daily computing. It is an absolutely fantastic program that has the capability to yield some very nice results.

here's a page with a bunch of the songs I've made in Garageband.

Another very nice thing about Garageband is that if you ever need to go more pro, you can get Logic audio, which is fully compatible with Garageband, and accepts GB projects. Making GB a valuable sketchpad and logic a finishing program.

Granted, I have all 4 jampacks for GB, and that makes it a much better program, since I have like 500 high quality instruments that don't come with the regular GB, but there is still tons you can do with the basic layout.
  4. I have it but I'm waiting for a book regarding the new version to come out. Im the meantime I need to get a card with the inputs and some jampacs.
  5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Aw come on, you don't need a book to learn garageband, it's all right there, just tinker with it for a couple hours, and you'll have it mastered.
  6. Yeah... I was playing with the loops but I don't have an input into my system yet... kinda takes the fun out of it. In the meantime, there's no manual for the Ilife '05 version. Bastar^%&! I'm looking at a presonus firebox though... soon... muhahahaha! Very soon!
  7. LeonD

LeonD Supporting Member

How are you guys connecting your basses to Garageband? I've tried using an MBox but the latency when I lay down the second track is huge; it makes it unuseable.

Any recommendations?

8. DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    i just bought a mac mini yesterday to play with and once i upgrade the RAM i will start playing with GB.
  9. Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    Yea it is an awesome program and its super easy to use!! I just recently bought a firewire solo pre amp to plug into. If you wanna here some of the stuff I have recorded heres a link.........

tell me what you think :smug:
  10. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    I use it occasionally and it is a really nice program. maybe not up with ACID but still really nice and it does stuff that ACID doesn't do.

As for the latency that Leon was asking about, try to do direct (hardware) monitoring of your inputs instead of monitoring through the software. Most interfaces let you listen to the mix of the track along with your overdub pre-software, so you don't get the plugins but you don't get the latency either.

11. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I use a $5 radioshack 1/4" -> 1/8" adaptor to plug my bass into Garageband.

and, again, you can hear all that that has accomplished me here

12. fiebru1119

Mar 2, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    I'm getting a Powerbook G4 in a couple months for college.. and I was wondering, does Garageband have transcribing capabilites?
  13. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Garageband 2.0 has a basic score editor and the ability to convert midi into notation. I don't believe it has a print score feature, but the midi -> notation conversion is very good.
  14. discoboo

Dec 25, 2002
    charleston, sc
    thanks for the input...i've been taking notes like any good student should.
  15. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    Since everybody else seems to be doing it, I'll put a link to my icomp page as well. Note: a lot of the things on there aren't the final versions of the songs, so be a bit gentle when judging me, though I'm nowhere near as good as Mr. Robot. Tell me what you think, though. V/
  16. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX

I love Garageband. I'm thinking I'll jump to Logic Express next!
  17. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Yea, Logic Express seems like the logical next step, I really like how you can import garageband projects into logic now and apply more professional processing techniques to the mix.

I think I'm going to hold out until I can get logic pro though, I figure, I am already bring garageband to it's knees, when I finally feel like I need more, might as well go for the big guns. Also, Logic pro is pretty cheap with an edu discount.
  18. iam runing grageband on a g3 ibook. i like it for wat iam doing iam useing a m-audi moble preamp i can get ok sounds. wat i really wanna do is buy a fire wire 8 channle input for it. i plan on getting tiger for it. so ill have versuion 2.0.

iam running a ibook g3 with the ram maxed out
    do u guys think if i get a good firewire 8 chanle input i can recored all 8 chanles and then like edit on the mac i plan on buying when iam home/ what i wanna do is beable to recored shows and i figure my ibook and a fire wire input will work out really good. i knwo i wouldnt be able to run effects and all that on the channles with my g3 but i figure us emy laptop to recored then trasfer the file to the mac i plan on buying
  19. discoboo

Dec 25, 2002
    charleston, sc
    i'm planning on getting the prosonus 8 channel thingamajig as well so i can record my band live. we record practice on a 4 track so it'll be nice to do 8 lines at once and be able to tweak it a little.