1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Gary Ritter Strings

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by bobsax, Jul 18, 2012.

1. bobsax

bobsax

Jan 16, 2011
    Southern Oregon
  2. Tommy el Gato

Tommy el Gato

Jul 6, 2007
    Looks like "Gary Ritter Strings" is the name of the business. The bass in the picture appears to be strung up with D'Addario Helicores.

3. Ben Rolston

Ben Rolston Supporting Member

Aug 30, 2006
    Ann Arbor, MI, USA
    +1

Gary lives close to me, and thats just the name of his business

4. bobsax

bobsax

Jan 16, 2011
    Southern Oregon
    thanks for clearing that up guys:)
    Interesting marketing:meh:
    I think it's the first time I saw someone put their biz name in the auction title. Maybe he knows something we don't;)

5. heavytrash13

heavytrash13

Oct 30, 2009
    Gary does excellent work--he really bailed me out when my jan kriml hybrid exploded on tour in Detroit.

6. We live near Gary Ritter Strings too. He did some work on my son's Chinese laminate that really seemed to improve the sound.(new end pin and tail wire) We also bought a decent French bow from Gary.

PS - Ben, my son now has a NS Cleveland too.

7. Adam Attard

Adam Attard

Feb 9, 2009
    I bought my first bass from him... And then he sold my high school an instrument that was basically unplayable, for more than I paid for mine. I haven't been to him in years- quite a bad experience.

8. bobsax

bobsax

Jan 16, 2011
    Southern Oregon
    I think dealers often sell to schools for top price, perhaps because they have to service the instruments?
    I think sometimes there may be some "sweetheart deals" between band directors and music stores.
    Did your HS orchestra ever buy from him again?

9. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    It might be better to frame your suppositions as questions from those who know. Otherwise, your comments tend to look like 'projection'.

I don't know about all stores, but the one that I work at bends over backwards to help the schools keep their music programs alive. Most school boards in the Lower Mainland have abandoned strings in the schools (many have no music programs whatsoever) because of budget cutbacks but the ones that remain get deep discounts on instruments, parts and repair/service work.

If there aren't kids learning to enjoy music, there won't be musical customers in the future... :(

10. bobsax

bobsax

Jan 16, 2011
    Southern Oregon
    Jake
    I was trying to give the benefit of the doubt to Mr Ritter regarding skyre12's comments.
    I'm sorry if it appeared (to you) that I was being critical.
    :eyebrow:

btw
    Mods, this thread was posted here because I thought that Gary Ritter Strings were actually strings. It is in fact a business so if there is an area here at TalkBass regarding opinions on businesses then I suggest this thread be moved to it.:)

11. Adam Attard

Adam Attard

Feb 9, 2009
    My apologies for going off topic- I seemed to slip past what the OP actually was :p