Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GAS attack: Ken Smith!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nick g., Jan 15, 2006.

1. nick g.

nick g. Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2003
    Chandler, Arizona
    Ouch.

There's been a bolt-on KS sixer at GC for a couple months now, and until yesterday I never really 'got' how awesome it was. It was a lot easier to play on either hand than the used Yamaha Pattituci sig that was there, and looked a helluva lot better too. To be honest, I was almost aroused at how well the lower registers came across, even through a Behringer combo.

So, Smith owners and admirers, what's been giving you a hard time on the john lately? :p

P.S. Pictures are welcome...

2. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    Ken looks over his shoulder and sniffs for leaking Gas..:bag:

3. soholounge

soholounge

Aug 11, 2004
    Colorado
    dude, i've been GASin' for a Smith BSR5 for 3 years straight now.
    came close to buying one on 2 separate occasions,
    but my wife may divorce me if i get one anytime soon.
    :crying:

4. RoVaughn

RoVaughn

Oct 8, 2005
    This is great oppurtunity to tell my Smith Story.... I'll try to make it short. First off my music mentor plays a Smith. Its a six string Walnut nut neckthrough. I call it the Thunderstick. this bass has a tone I cant describe....it made me wanna play bass. So I ve been playing for about 4 years and I went through Ibanez Samicks Fenders...all kinds of in expensive basses trying to get close to that tone and obviously never came close. I was always used to look at ebay (weekly) to see what a used Smith would go for. Anyway I got a new job that pay pretty good last year and noticed there were alot of Smiths going for cheaper prices (less than 2000). I saw this one 5 string flamed maple that caught my eye so I got the serial number and put a call in to to the Smith factory to see about the bass' history. A guy answers the phone and tells me serial numbers have to be verified by Mr Smith himself. So Im thinking "Cool I m gonna talk to the man himself" When he transferred me Ken was like " Im eating lunch you gotta call back" Then I was thinking Not cool he blew me off. Anyways i call back about 30 mins later to see if I could get any info. (didnt think I would but decided to give it a shot). So they put me through to him again and he was the COOLEST guy to talk too! I gave him the serial number then he told me to say what I knew about the bass. He verified then asked about where I was buying it from, he went to the ebay ad then told me the whole history of the bass including the price, recommeded it as a good deal and even gave me the strategy to bid and win. He told me to wait until the last 45 seconds of the bid Put the hightest price I was willing to pay in one window and then count down the time in another window. At the last 10 seconds hit enter on your bid and you should be good to go. Well this bid ended at 3:45 in the morning So I woke up followed those directions and won the bass. Called the seller discussed the arrangements and got the bass 4 days later. It came via UPS from Cali to NY still in tune and setup great. SO my years of GAS was cured and I FINALLY got my Smith....I feel so proud!!!! Never did get to thank Ken for his input. Ken your a great guy you input was the difference maker in winning the bass (and at a great deal I might ad) When I figure out how to post a pic I will add it. heres a link. Thanks for reading my little (well not so little story)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7353071491&sspagename=ADME:L:RTQ:US:1

5. soholounge

soholounge

Aug 11, 2004
    Colorado
    RoVaughn,
    good story.
    & congratulations on getting that bass!

6. 4x4Given

4x4Given

Jul 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Well, I don't have a KS, but a fellow bassist that I admire greatly does. Two (a 4 and a 6), in fact. His name is JJ Plasencio (former bassist with Sixpence None the Richer). He speaks quite highly of it and I am always blown away by it's sound (not to mention JJ's musicianship).

7. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    Glad everything worked out for you. Sorry about the first call you made, a mans gotta eat..:cool: