Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gear for recording directly to the board

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Geezer_Butler, Aug 6, 2004.

1. Geezer_Butler

Geezer_Butler

Feb 13, 2004
    We are going to record and I don´t know what gear shuld i buy.
    Do you recomend me a Sansamp D.I. or a amp modeling Beringher V-amp ( cant afford a line6 pod )
    Can you explain the different characteristics, good and bad things about them?

Thank you and sorry for my english, its been long time without practiceing...

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Depending on what you are after, a simple DI box will suffice.
    Do you need amp modeling and effects for your recording?

3. Geezer_Butler

Geezer_Butler

Feb 13, 2004
    I dont need effects, but amp modelling I dont kwon if I´ll need. What is the difference between them? I´m not using tehm through my amp, I intend to plug my bass in the DI or POD an plug this on the board

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    The difference is, do you like the clean, original sound of your bass or do you want to have the sound of an amp/speaker combination too?

5. The Sansamp D.I., the Beringher V-amp, and the Line6 POD all allow the options of a direct signal and/or a colored/amp simulated signal. Any of them would be a good tool to have for various situations in the studio or during live performance. I own a Line6 Bass POD and I can record two tracks at the same time and then blend the DI track with the "amp modeled" track to fit the mix. Good luck with your recording.

6. Geezer_Butler

Geezer_Butler

Feb 13, 2004
    Thanks. I supose I´ll buy the sansamp. About the recording I´ll post a threat with some links to download some songs.

7. Great! I'll check 'em out.

8. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    I suggest the Countryman Type 85. Awesome no frills top shelf DI box.

9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    + 1. Be careful not to overdo your tone controls, whatever you use. Try to go in pretty flat. If you turn up the bass, it'll sound OK while you're recording, but will be fraught with muff on the tape/disk, and there won't be anything you can do to fix it. Do your EQing and processing at mixdown.

10. Geezer_Butler

Geezer_Butler

Feb 13, 2004
    I checked the countryman, but, I dont know, it has no controls so I cant play with it to work out a specific tone as I could do with the sansamp.
    Can you explain me more or less how it works and it characteristics?

Thank you

11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You plug your bass into one side, then plug the XLR out into the board. You get the pure tone of your bass. That's it. I still think you should avoid messing with your tone going in. Flat is best. Anything you add while recording can't be taken off. You can add processing to the recorded track by bouncing it to another track, or by putting it on another V-track if you're going digital. By recording clean and flat, you can play with the sound to get exactly what you want after the track is on tape/CD.

I used a SABDDI at a recording session a few years ago, and I gave the bass a little boost to suit my taste in the headphones. I ended up with a boom I couldn't get out.

12. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Is your bass active or passive?

If active, you can probably just plug straight into the "line in" on your board's channel strip. To monitor, send the channel's "direct out" to your amp.

You only really need the DI with a passive bass, and that would be mainly for impedance matching purposes (and if you're running long cables).

+1 on going in "flat". Try not to use any tone controls at all. All that EQ stuff should be done at mixdown, not during tracking. Try to get the natural sound of your bass during tracking, and then muck with it later (if you have to).

You may be surprised, sometimes what sounds excessively bright or deep during tracking may sound just perfect in the mix.

13. bogart

bogart

Dec 11, 2003
    big bear, ca
    For what it's worth I actually record the bass with the lows and low mids turned down. While playing I end up with a super tinny sound, but the sound on tape ends up being killer. If need be you can always boost the lows at mixdown.

14. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF

This is all too true. When we recorded, I plugged into my Mesa head and then into the board, and had the bass on my Spector and the bass on my amp turned up just a little, so I could "feel" it more in the pre-mix, and I got LOTS of boom after the final mixdown, but no definition and real "bass" in the mix. I'll always record flat from now on.

15. Please dont post "threats"...Hehe!

Its a sad day when Geezer Butler "cant afford" a Line 6 POD.

Kidding of course, I couldnt resist a friendly banter on that one!