Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

General setup question (my Jazz is buzzing)

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Keef, Nov 7, 2005.

1. Keef

Keef

Jul 3, 2003
    Hollywood, CA
    I went to a rehearsal this weekend and my fretless Jazz was buzzing to the point of being unplayable on the G string, 2nd through 4th fret positions (open string and first "fret" ring out fine).

A few days prior, I switched to a slightly lighter gauge G string, but it didn't buzz at the time.

What do I need to do to resolve this? I'd think it was the nut being too low for the new G string, but it doesn't buzz on the open string.

Truss rod adjustment? New nut? Shim? Time to re-radius? What do you think?

TIA,

~ Keef

•

2. jacostilllives

jacostilllives

May 4, 2004
    you can check the truss rod by putting your finger on the first fret and the 12th and looking at how much space you have between the string and the fretboard. I know on a fretted it should be touching around the 6th fret so i guess on a fretless there should be a little gap. Maybe you just need to raise the bridge on the g string just a tad? Those are my suggestions. Its probably as simple as a bridge adjustment.

3. jacostilllives

jacostilllives

May 4, 2004
    oh plus if it was a truss rod the other strings would probably be doing the same thing too..or atleast i think they would be?

4. Keef

Keef

Jul 3, 2003
    Hollywood, CA
    Thanks, JSL – I raised the action and the buzz (which was severe – NO note at ALL) went away. I had to raise the saddle about an eighth of an inch (!!!) to get the notes to ring clearly. I also raised the other saddles to keep the output consistent.

Now I feel stupid about my original post – but how on earth did my action go south so quickly?!?!?

But for now, things are good once again. Thanks for your advice, JSL.

:hyper:

5. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Because the lighter strings allowed some of the relief to go out of the neck. Pretty common, actually.

Fwiw, you adjusted the wrong thing. Notes buzzing at only the nut end of the neck always indicate truss rod, or relief, adjustment is in order.

6. Keef

Keef

Jul 3, 2003
    Hollywood, CA
    I'm assuming I'd need to loosen the truss rod, pkr2?

7. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    yes.

8. Keef

Keef

Jul 3, 2003
    Hollywood, CA
    Thanks, pkr2!