1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Genz Benz 2-10 cabinet question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by coastie72, Apr 11, 2009.

1. coastie72

coastie72

Apr 6, 2009
    Columbia SC
    I feel like it is a steal, but is a Genz Benz 2-10 cabinet that is rated at 350W into 8 ohms worth $250.00. Is there something I should maybe be wary of? It is in great looking condition and has a grey carpet type covering. I don't know exactly how old it is, but apperance wise it looks great. Honestly I have been away from music for a while and was not even aware of Genz Benz. I'm thinking I should buy it. Thoughts.:meh:

2. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Sounds like a GB-210T, was made for quite a few years. There are many of them out there. Nothing to be wary of, we still support them at the factory.

3. Hmm - my GB 210XB cab is only rated at 250 watts if I recall. You sure this one is 350?

$250 seems like a great price. If the cab is all original, and the speakers are in good shape, I wouldn't hesitate to buy it.

Can you post pics of the cab?

4. Bob C

Bob C

Mar 26, 2000
    Duluth, MN
    Genz Benz is a reputable brand. I own a GB210T XB, which is a ported, deeper sounding version of the regular GB-210T. I paid $350 for it used. So, I think whichever model you're looking at, $250 is a fair price. you may want to find out the exact model, and check back on this forum to see what price they generally go for.

The only thing to be wary of with any used cabinet is whether either speaker or the horn is blown. Test it out at a medium volume, and stick your ear up close.

5. coastie72

coastie72

Apr 6, 2009
    Columbia SC
    Thanks for all the opinions and advice I am going to look and listen later today. Thanks much!!!!;)

6. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    One thing to check on any used bass cabinet is around the joint where the surround and the cone are connected. When a speaker has been mechanically overdriven, you can see some wrinkling of the paper or a fatigue failure of the surround which may show up as cracks in the linen surround. inspect closely.

7. coastie72

coastie72

Apr 6, 2009
    Columbia SC
    The guy was not home so I did not get to go check it out today. When you say surround, what exactly are you speaking off the, the flexible piece that is around the outer perimeter of the cone?

8. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Yes, on that speaker is should be an accordian folded linen cloth.

If you want to take a photo of the cabinet, I could get you more information.