Genz Benz ML200 vs.other "kickback" combos

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JimM, Dec 25, 2005.

1. JimM

Jan 13, 2000
    Northern California
    My old combo amps have finally quit on me.I still have My Sunn 1200s and 4x10 for use with my main band,a rock blues outfit(The Z.Isaac Band),But sundays I play for the 1st-4th graders in a sunday school band at a huge church.Its around 100 kids per set,we do 2 sets.

A local store has a Genz Benz ML200 on clearance for $499.I compared it to a Fender me the fender was warmer,but the GB seemed more clear and articulate and more powerful.The tiltback feature seems very practical since we play for a wide soundstage that isn't very deep(front to back).

I don't play much slap,I use Peavy G5 with a graphite neck(in this band).

I guess I'm not too concerned that my tone is particularly "old school" or "modern" for that matter,look at the audience.But we do get amazingly loud for a sunday school band ,so I ask your opinions on tiltback combos such as the GK Backline 115 ,the GB ML200,etc.etc.
    Reliability is almost as much an issue for me as tone.

Thanks folks,

2. I have a Hartke Kickback 12(for sale at a very reasonable price- hint, hint)& like it quite a bit. It's proven itself in some pretty loud situations; I play w/my church's choir/worship team(bass, drums, percussion, piano, keys, 2-4 guitars, violin, 2-3 horns, 10-20 person choir/ensemble)& have used this combo at several outreach-type events. Indoors it does a great job, outdoors it makes a fine extra bass monitor for me or the drummer. I have also used it on a week-long mission trip to Mexico- holding worship services in the colonias of Tijuana each night, & again, it held up very well. I know this amp is not on your list, but I think it compares w/the GB. I don't know much about the Backline stuff.
    PM me if you want more info on the Hartke.
  3. JimM

Jan 13, 2000
    Northern California
    I should add,my old amp was 85 watts into a single 15,and was barely enough until it started playing unwanted radio stations and doing the "snap,crackle and pop" thing.Not sure if a 1x12 would cut it.Especially with the low 'B'.

But I appreciate the response very much.

4. I play a passive Fender Jazz 5 & Stambaugh 6(active/passive)w/a detuner on the B(goes down to A)- the amp is no monster rig, but I definitely use the big strings a lot. A good 1x12 will do the B nicely, IMO.

Edit: I paid $250(used, mind you)for my KB-12, so $399 doesn't seem(to me)like a once-in-a-lifetime deal. And, at the risk of sounding like I'm giving it the hard sell, :rolleyes: I'm in Vacaville- if that's near enough to you, we could potentially meet halfway & you could check out my amp. Or if you're going to be in town on a Sunday morning, let me know & I'll bring it along. :D Services at 8:00, 9:30, 11:00am & 6:00pm. Merry Christmas! :)
  5. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    Genz Benz amps are tremendous - you will find very little negative said of them, and even then it will be a matter of taste, not reliability or lack of volume complaint. Never a problem from mine. Actually I wish my big rig could sound as good as my old Genz Benz combo.