Get the gig

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by fenderbassabuse, Oct 13, 2004.

1. How do I get gigs? My band plays hard rock, mostly covers, but we have 3/4 originals. The problem is our ages range from the youngest (me) at 15, all the way to the oldest (singer) at 18/19.

What is the best way to approach a venue? offer to play at their venue? Make a CD and give it to them with a phone number?

We have played gigs at school a couple of times and myself and the rhythm guitarist has played for a school musical, so we have experience of playing to an audience.
  2. ambolina

ambolina Guest

Apr 7, 2004
    San Diego, Ca
    Might be different for bands with young members & I don't know how it works across the pond, but here's what works for my band.

Generally we have really good success when we go talk to the venu in person, and 50/50 success when we try over email or phone. Either way we do it, we ask if we can speak to whoever is responsible for booking bands. Then we ask if they have any dates available for whatever month we're looking for. Or if you don't want to book your own show, ask if they have any gigs they need an opening/third band for. We take a demo with us to offer them, sometimes they bring it up, sometimes they don't care if you give them one or not. Some places want to listen before they book you. It all varies based on venu.

Places that are popular to play are obviously harder to book. You have better chances if you have a line up put together. Or instead of asking for your own show, just ask if the venu has any nights where they need a third band for the bill. Offer to be the opening act.

So that's how we do it. See if the music venus in your area have web sites. They almost always have a booking contact/booking information (like if you have to send in a demo first). I know the local all ages venu here requires you to sell a minimum number of tickets to your show.

So...look for websites first and do your research on the place you want to play. If they don't have a site, then get the phone number and ask to speak the person who does the booking.

I've only been doing this a few months, but this is our process and works well enough to have a couple shows a month. Just be persistant. Some places will be easy. Some are difficult. Look at where bands you like play currently and where they played when they were first starting (if they keep an archive of their past shows on the web site), then follow in their footsteps.

Good luck!