Gettin' Funky

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Alexander, Jun 16, 2004.

1. Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I've just gotten into some funk stuff recently and for the first time starting to slap. Working hard to get the right technique down and am interested in finding a good book\CD that might have some slap lines I can work on. What are some good ones out there?
  2. radi8

Feb 10, 2004
    If you want an interactive touch, go to on the lessons tab--click r&b and then type in: slap, in the search'll pull up several lessons that you can listen to and play as you go.
  3. CJK84

Jan 22, 2004
    Maria Stein, OH
    Listen to as many recordings featuring slap as possible.

There's certainly an element of technique and book learning for slapping, but immersing yourself in "slap" music will help a lot.

Good luck.
  4. leanne

May 29, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    Funk ain't all about slapping. If you can't groove, your slapping won't mean much.

That said, I'd recommed listening to albums and watching videos as a start.
    This video in particular:
    Larry Graham Funk Bass Attack
    It's not exactly an instructional video, but theres a TON to be learned from it.
  5. I bought Ed Friedland's Slap DVD recently and I think it's excellently put together. I haven't got very far into it because 1) I'm an absolute Slap newbie so the technique is taking its time in arriving ... 2) I'm also taking MusicDojo's Jazz Improv 1 course ...

You're welcome to PM me if you want more info ...

6. Video:- Alexis Slareveski's Slap Bass Program
    Book:- Funk Bass (though I've heard Slap It! is very good)
    Music:- Anything by Larry Graham
  7. Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I've been listening to a lot of funk record lately - both slap and fingerstyle\groove. Commodores, Sly and the Family Stone, Ohio Players, Parliament, TOP etc. I've been learning a lot and wanting to learn even more.

I remember a book\CD called Funk Bass from a few years ago which was really good, but I can't put my hands on it...
  8. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    +1 on all counts
  9. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Transcribe by ear, When Problems Arise and Bonin' in the Boneyard by Fishbone.

Moderate to Advanced Slapping going on in those songs, which will show you what can be done with slap instead of just octaves which is what most beginners start with.

No, and I mean No Higher Ground

Other Famous Slappers/Artists

Primus (nothing to hard, fun music)
    Marcus Miller (some is fairly difficult, bass is high in the mix and it is mostly slap)
    Wooten (technician, does an alteration of slapping which is wanky sounding)

You should view slapping as merely another technique to use and not something that has to be done constantly.
  10. Scot

Scot Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2004
    Pacifica, CA, USA
    I second the notion for the book "Slap It" by Tony Oppenheim. I also got a lot out of the first Louis Johnson video. And any recordings and/or transcriptions of Marcus Miller you can get your hands on. Also, it may not be your cup of tea but listening to your local smooth jazz radio station will probably turn up lots of good slap bass playing.

11. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Amen to that. Too many people think that if they can slap/pop they can play good funk bass.

another good video is Stu Hams, slap/pop/tap for electric bass, its very educational. Louis Johnsons video is good and has some great slap runs but isnt exactly good as far as instruction goes.